Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 4, 2004, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Power consumption of MicroDrive versus Solid State

Hi,

Recently I bought the Nikon D70. I now doubt what memory card I should buy. From other discussions on this forum I understood that the speed of the card is not a big issue for normal (JPEG) use.

My question is about the power consumption of a microdrive card compared to a solid state compact flash card. Does a MicroDrive result in a significantly shorter battery life time?

Thanks for your help!
jansenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:57 AM   #2

Hi,

I don't know how critical the power consumption of the camera is.

The Microdrives take between 250mA and 305mA during read and write, while CF cards take about 30~60mA depending on model and the number of chips.

Speed and power consumption are not the only points worth looking at. What I experienced was a significant delay when reviewing images with the microdrive.

Hans-Jürgen
cardspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks Hans-Jurgen!

This helps. The question indeed is what the influence on the battery lifetime is of this 5-10 times higher powerconsumption of the card.

Your remark about the delay times while reviewing images is perhaps more of an issue. All together I maybe better off with a conventional CP-card.

Thanks again!

Willy
jansenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 2:47 PM   #4

Default Sample calculation

Hi Willy,

don't forget the power consumption of the camera in your calculation. I don't know about other cameras, but a DiMAGE 7 series camera will take between 1.2A and 2A, so the increase due to the MD instead of a CF is 200-250mA, i.e. roughly 10-15% more.

If you have a camera with lower current, then this percentage rises of course.

If you don't know how much current your camera needs, you can make a simplified calculation. If the MD takes 200mA more than a CF card, and you are using 2000mA AAs, then you need one additional set for up to 10 hours MD operation. However, the additional current of the MD will cause an additional voltage drop of the batteries, so the camera might shut off earlier.

Hans-Jürgen
cardspeed is offline   Reply With Quote