Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:35 PM   #1

Default How many and what sizes of cards needed?

Hello Everyone

Pardon me if this has been asked before (no doubt) but this is only my second post and how this is answered may decide which camera we go with.

Anyway the cameras I'm looking at have "XD" and "CF". I know I can get double the memory with the "CF" vs the "XD" at the same cost or close to it. Plus bigger is better - 256 and 512 - and with a difference in $$$$. But how many cards are really needed and what sizes?

Do one use a 512 along with a 256. Add a couple of 128's and two or three 64's? Can you or do you use different card for certain scenes and situations? Say one card for night shots and one just for movies? Another for Super HQ landscapes? Does this make any sense?

By the way I'm looking at the Olympus C-750 , Canon S1 IS and the Fuji S7000.

Thanks for any help and input on this.
Kenny J.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:57 PM   #2

Default Re: How many and what sixes of cards needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan
... Do one use a 512 along with a 256. Add a couple of 128's and two or three 64's? Can you or do you use different card for certain scenes and situations? Say one card for night shots and one just for movies? Another for Super HQ landscapes? Does this make any sense?...
Most memory problems seem to be the result of handling: bent pins, static, dropping in hot asphalt, ... For that reason, you don't want to switch them in and out of the camera more often than you have to. So get the biggest chunks of memory that make sense at the current price and don't switch them unless they are full or nearly full.

That doesn't mean you should panic about handling your memory: with care you shouldn't have any problems. But why take chances you don't have to take?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote