Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 1, 2002, 9:06 AM   #1

Default One large or two small CF cards?

I am debating between buying one 256MB vs two 128MB cards (or one 512 vs two 256). Any opinions on pros and cons? My reason for two cards is sometimes I tend to forget the card in my laptop at home before a trip. If I had two, I could always find the spare card in the camera bag.
sreev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2002, 9:19 AM   #2

what is the highest quality image your camera can make in MBs?

with the price of CF averaging approx $100/256MB it doesn't sound like a hard math question. buy 2/256MB. i don't know how much you have to spend. redundancy is good.

the smaller cards are falling off the usability curve due to 4-5 MP cameras creating between 2-14 MB files at highest resolution.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:28 AM   #3

Thank you sjms for quick reply. I have Nikon 5700 which is a 5 MP camera with jpg file size around 1.5 MB. RAW and TIF files are larger but I rarely use them if at all.

Having checked the prices, I will be more specific with my question. Assuming similar $/MB, I am considering buying two 128 MB cards. Is there any advantage to buying one 256 MB card instead?
sreev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 11:19 AM   #4

Advantage would be later value, as the cards get bigger the smaller have less value as future demands of more memory. Also the camera and laptop may have different formating requirements.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:35 PM   #5
MK

On the other hand...

Be careful about putting all your eggs in the same basket. If you have one card and it is lost or damage, you end up with nothing. At least with 2 cards you still get half of what you shot.

I have three CF cards that I use.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:20 AM   #6

I don't buy the "eggs in one basket" idea at all. From everything I have seen, pretty much all damage to memory cards comes from handling (still rare) so having two cards means more handling. More chance of damage.

Sort of like putting your eggs in two baskets, then spending your time hitting those baskets with a hammer. I'd rather have my "eggs" in one, well protected, unmolested, basket.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:51 AM   #7

bill- what about that one accidental loss or gone missing for a few weeks scenerio. we're all far from perfect. redundancy is preventative form of cutting your losses at times. i have 4 cards haven't lost or broken one yet. i still feel better about having them though. filled only 3 so far on a trip. planning for the worst and hoping for the best and then having extra when needed. a little flexibility.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:15 AM   #8

multiple small cards have the inconvenient that if it happens that you have to change card at a critical moment ( middle of a race, a wedding ) , worse , when you are in the dark for example ; and you have to switch off the cam : loss some current settings that you may forget to set them 10 second later
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:16 AM   #9

Which is easier to loose: one large card that stays in your camera, or several smaller cards scattered about in you pockets?

Redundancy is great so long an increase reduncancy does not also increase risk. Having several smaller cards does provide some redundancy, but it also increases risk. Risk of loss as well as risk of damage.

It isn't clear that the increase in risk is larger than the redundancy gain, but it is not as simple as talking about eggs and baskets. I doubt the issue can be quanitfied, so it will remain one that you should go with what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Keep in mind that memory problems are rare so it probably isn't going to make any difference which way you go. Having said that, the real answer becomes simple: go with the cheapest that isn't so small you have to spend a lot of time swapping cards.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:36 AM   #10

might want to read my 3rd post on this thread b4 use purchase, things going to get better,
Gary

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2335
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote