Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:26 PM   #1

Default IBM Microdrives

Im currently looking at a couple of IBM Microdrives on an auction site, a 1gig & a 512.

The price looks like being well under half that of a comparable CF card, but somewhere I seem to recall having read that IBM onsold the rights etc quite a while ago, & that therefore these two cards might be quite old new-old stock, & mebbe even obsolete.

The seller advises that he has scandisc'd & tested them to format OK with FAT32.

Would they be an OK-gamble, or do I save the money towards other/newer memory?

Ta

BrooC in NZ :?:
BrooC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:45 PM   #2

My Son who is a professional photographer warns against microdrives as they can be damaged by a drop. There are no moving parts in CF cards so they provide a much safer storage option and should last much longer. I have a Lexar 1GB 4X card and am very happy with it. The reviews are good for Lexar, and they will assist with data recovery if there is a problem with the card. I also ask my Son about the higher speed cards 12X 40X that his D100 can take advantage of and he said that the difference was really not that noticible, and probably not worth the money unless you are doing allot of action photgraphy. My 5700 won't take advantage of higher speed cards anyway.

My 2 cents, hope it helps.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 2:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, but you miss my point. It is not 'Microdrives in General' that my query concerns, but whether or not specifically IBM ones are STILL worth having!

My understanding is that IBM invented/developed the microdrive technology/concept etc, but subsequently onsold it to Hitachi who have improved it in various ways . .. . I therefore wonder if these two IBM cards (which I see being auctioned locally) might actually be not only 'new-old' stock (which in itself isnt necessarily a bad thing in itself), or now old-tech as well.

Cheers
BrooC
Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:28 PM   #4

Oops , sorry but I can't help ya there....
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooC
... whether or not specifically IBM ones are STILL worth having!
Depends on the price and how much you trust the seller. If the seller is OK, and they are selling at something like 25% of the price of solid state, they are worth having. Though you should watch out for any that are smaller than 1Gig.

There were come compatibility problems with some cameras with various sizes of the smaller drives. So make sure they will work with your specific camera. Asking in the forum for your camera here and a couple of other places should settle that one way or the other.

If you damage them by dropping, it isn't likely that your camera is going to survive that kind of clumsy handling either. Most damage to memory, solid state or microdrive, seems to be the result of handling. Bent pins, static, dropping in an active volcano, ... will damage solid state memory as well as the microdrive.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:44 AM   #6

. .ta Bill, might try the larger of the two (1 gig) if the price doesnt go silly, if only outa curiosity!

;-))
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:12 AM   #7
NHL

FYI

The 512M/1G are of the same design. It's the older 170M/340M which are problematic because they draw large amount of current on power up... and even freeze certain PDAs. They don't make these smaller 170M/340M drives anymore ops:

The newer 512M/1G spin up slightly slower, but works more reliably on battery powered devices with the 4G even more robust. The microdrives are always a "love them or hate them": http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-hitachi.shtml
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:17 PM   #8

. ..as often happens with auctions (online or live) the prices went silly, well past half the retail price of new CF cards of equivalent size, so I kept out of it & will wait till I URGENTLY need more capacity because new CF memory prices seem to be dropping almost daily . .. . plus Ive now found a local price-comparo site which shows new retail prices that are often LESS than prices acheived in these auction sites.

Cheers

BrooC :lol:
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:39 AM   #9

Hmnnn, loookit what was under my/our noses here at Steves' place all along. . .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html

Phew, glad I kept my dosh in pocket!

;-))