Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:22 PM   #1

Default SD finally spreads its wings

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6897

this is a pro camera but this is the first device to finally deliver on some of the promised transfer rate of SD and that pretty impressive.

now if they just deliver on size like 1, 2 gb and bigger.

of all the media on the market today CF and SD are the only true open standards and are currently the only ones that deliver a level of performance matching or exceeding the high end cameras made today.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:02 PM   #2
NHL

That data rate is quite impressive considering SD cards only use 4 data pins as compared to 8/16 for CF cards...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:41 PM   #3

Wow, that is fast. Really fast.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:48 AM   #4
NHL

You have to remember that CF "emulate" a hardisk interface along with all its protocol whereas the newer SD is freed from all this legacy stuff, and optimized for the newer formats... At the flash cells level they are probably all from the same mold!

... as to the larger SD size, with dual slots cameras one could always dump the faster SD card to the slower but larger CF at any convenient time and save a bundle this way since CF speed is no longer a factor. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:55 AM   #5

I bet they are. I'd also bet that their tollerances are designed to ram up the clock speed. I always found it interesting that doing things in parallel won out over a few lines (serial vs. parallel ports on a computer) but then people learned how to take a few lines and really pump the data through them.

This was cheap and fast, so then USB (and other physically-similar standards) appeared. Plus when you send data that fast you get into interference issues so having multiple data wires isn't that good any more.

Almost seems non-intuitive.

Eric
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:09 PM   #6

Now all I need is a 1 gig card for under $100. More for PDA than camera use, but...
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:39 PM   #7

I'd be happy if good SD cards matched CF card prices. That + the speed boost would be well worth it.

Eric
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:43 PM   #8

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurms
Now all I need is a 1 gig card for under $100. More for PDA than camera use, but...
If you need it for your PDA, you should take a look at the random access times of the SD cards:
http://www.hjreggel.net/digiphoto/speed.html

And then tell me whether you need 1GB for under $100 or a Panasonic 512MB for around $250. The other SD cards I tested have random access worse than a microdrive.

Hans-Jürgen
cardspeed is offline   Reply With Quote