Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:27 PM   #1

Default Confused about high speed versus regular speed cf

I have bought a Canon Powershot S1 IS camera. It came with a high speed 32 cf card.

I have now purchased a 512 scandisk regular cf card. I was wondering whether I should buy a high speed card though. I hear different things. I read that if your camera is not specially equipped to accept a high speed card , it will not treat the two cards (high versus regular card) differently! Is that true? Am I as well off with regular verus high speed card?
danielswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:29 PM   #2

The speed at the camera can write will dictate how fast the card works with the camera. How the camera writes (how large a chunk of data how fast) also effects things.

Only the really high end cameras can really leverage the really fast cards.

What this translates into for "normal" cameras is it isn't worth going faster than about 12-16x before you really won't see any benefit.

The problem is that which card will work best is very hard to say because each camera is different and each card is different. One 16x card might be really fast in one camera and slower in another.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:05 AM   #3

I truly do not know where you can find out information about your camera & flash writing speed. You are asking "has someone purchased many cards and tested them in a good scientific way and then posted the information on the internet."

Some people have done this for some cameras, but not many of the consumer cameras. To do the testing well, it takes a lot of time and a lot of money (to buy all the cards) or you need connections in the industry to get them to send you samples. Or you can explain how to do it and hope others who own the camera will do good testing and send you their results.

Do some searching, someone might have done something like that for your camera. Doubtful, as it hasn't been out for very long. But you might get lucky.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 4:30 PM   #4

Have you had a chance to test your normal speed compactflash card yet? I just bought a Powershot S1 and will receive it in about a week and I had the exact same question. I heard it might not be possible to record movies at the highest quality without a high speed CF card, and movies are one of the main reasons I bought this camera. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
MenDAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 8:40 PM   #5

Hi there!

So far, I am really pleased with this camera. I have just put in the 512 regular CF and it shot movies seemingly as well as the high speed card it came with. So far so good! I think, this camera is not able to truly recognize high speed cards and thus it it is not worthwhile to spend extra money for high speed cf.
danielswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:35 PM   #6

High speed CF cards that use "Write Acceleration"(WA) technology are only useful for "Professional" digital cameras.

Current cameras supporting Write Acceleration Technology:

All Kodak Professional cameras and pro camera backs, such as the DCS Pro Back 645, DCS Pro Back Plus, DCS 720x, DCS 760, DCS 760m and DCS 14n

Nikon D1x, D1h and D-100 (Requires camera firmware upgrade by Nikon. See Nikon's resources for more details.)

Sanyo DSC-MZ3

Here's a great website to find the fastest CF card for your particular camera (not just professional cameras).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
CanonDave is offline   Reply With Quote