Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 3, 2004, 10:46 AM   #1

Greets,

I recently purchased the Canon Elph (Ixus) 5 Mega Pixel camera. It came with a whopping 32MB card which holds 11 pictures.

I tried to order a Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash card (60x speed) from Amazon.com, but gave up 3 weeks later with still no ship date.

I then called PCUniverse who told me they had 68 in stock, and promptly issued their backorder notice after they closed for the day.

It seems that SanDisk cannot ship cards. Fine. So my question for anyone in the know is:

What Manufacturer, other than SanDisk, sells a high speed CompactFlash Type I card?

Thanks
jdmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 12:38 PM   #2

I prefer Lexar over SanDisk, because they treat their customers better. They also make top quality cards.

But I wouldn't bash SanDisk for your problem. Those stores should have been more honest about when they thought they'd get the part.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 12:43 PM   #3

I agree about the stores, but SanDisk seems to be having great supply problems. The last store told me that their supply was bought out, which is why they went from 68 to 0, because SanDisk has discontinued the product (although that could be just a product renaming).

I have gone ahead and purchased a Lexar. I am not thrilled, because Sandisk was 60x and Lexar is 40x, but I have been trying to get a memory card about 11 pictures for 3 weeks now, and am tired of this game. I doubt I will ever give Sandisk any business in the future.

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2004, 6:42 PM   #4

Don't worry about the speed difference. Very, very few models will take advantage of it. You need to spend thousands of dollars to find a camera where the difference was noticable

You are bottle necked by the speed the camera writes. If it doesn't write faster than a 18x card will take, you are wasting your money buying a faster one (well, not completely. It might work better in your next camera or in an MP3 player.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 6:58 PM   #5

just to add on to erics statement: the 3 fastest DSLRS on the market today still do not use the full tranfer capability of a 40x card. the camera you mentioned, with all due respect doesn't even reach 12x. transfer rate thru a usb 1, 2, FW port will vary per controller. it will be somewhat faster but don't go overboard. it ain't that much of a difference.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 7:11 PM   #6

Lots of Compact Flash by Sandisk on Ebay.

Go there.

I have used Sandisk exclusively with no problems but I do NOT treat

as a removable drive.

It holds photos only.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:25 PM   #7

Thank you all so much for making me feel better about abandoning the Don Quixote-like quest to secure a 60X Sandisk CF Card. It is truly appreciated.

Hopefully my 40x Lexar order won't get cancelled twice as well