Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:10 AM   #1
hro

Default Thanks..but no Thanks

Hey you guys I had no help from this forum on deciding what type of reader to buy. However, in another forum they suggested me the Omniflash reader/writer because it also comes with a reformatting software that helps recover bad blocks form my flash media.....thanks anyways you guys...
hro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by hro
Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if you guys have any information on how the Omniflash brandname readers/writers are...on their site they look like great products, they come with a reformating cd and the whole kit but I don't know if I should go with brandname and go with Sandisk readers/writers?? Any help is appreciated...
hro,
Going to guess other members who give alot of time trying to help were not users of omniflash readers. Hard to give any help on a product that has not been owned or used by someone. Kind of like being lost and asking for directions and someone gives you bad directions when no directions would have been better. Glad you found your answer.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:23 AM   #3

gee, i missed that one completely. sorry man.

a bad block is a bad block. its not removed just remapped and excluded. windows built in format utility does that too so that software is fairly null.

ease up on the attitude. some of us were on vacation. we do that every now and then.

[Edited on 9-5-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 4:36 PM   #4

Not familiar with that model.

I have dedicated PCCard slot(s) in my desktop for use with Compact Flash/Memory stick and adaptors.

For portable or other computers in the house:

I just bought a 6 in 1 reader/writer that will handle everything, including some new smartmedia cards I bought for the kids' camera. It's a Robanton. Cheap, works great!

I paid $25 for it, but see it on e-Bay for $15 (plus shipping!)

Previous posts were correct: if you get a bad memory block, nothing will "fix" it, but a format should isolate the bad block and prevent it from being used.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:05 AM   #5
hro

Default Reply

sjms wrote:
a bad block is a bad block. its not removed just remapped and excluded. windows built in format utility does that too so that software is fairly null.
Actually this software does not reformat your flash media like your regular windows reformater.....By default, Windows XP will put the FAT 32 format on the media, by simply writing zeroes to the formatted media, and does not erase the file system or data blocks which many Digital Cameras cannot detect. This is due to the fact that the Operating System sees the flash media as yet another removable drive, not as a flash
media drive.

However when a low-level format is performed (with this software), the file System data and data blocks are actually erased. The software is aware of the low
level format requirements for each type of media (CompactFlash, SmartMedia, Memory Stick etc.) and ensures that the formatted media complies with new media formatting requirements.

p.s: Sorry if I sounded like a -as-ard to you guys, it's only because I was in a rush to buy a reader/writer.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 5:21 PM   #6

Sorry, didn't understand your formatting post. I believe my Smartmedia cards are formatted as 16 bit FAT so wouldn't touch Win 32 with a barge pole. Isn't this why the cam manufacturers recommend formatting in the cam?. Wouln't want to trash a 256MB card, although somebody has come up with a recovery prog for unfortunates who formatted in an MP3 player first!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 5:43 PM   #7

win xp writes fat 16 or 32 you make the choice. it defaults to fat32 over a certain value of memory but you can change it by the dropdown list. try a 16mb card it should show fat.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:59 AM   #8
hro

Yeah you're right sjms...Win XP's default is 32FAT system...however with this Digital Formater it was soo amazing how it recovered all the memory that was lost and soo fast on my 64MB Lexar MS
Old Sep 12, 2002, 12:23 PM   #9

if your happy with it and it works thats a good thing.