Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 10, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1

I´m thinking of getting either a 1 or 2Gb IBM microdrive for my Fuji S7000...but I can´t deside!!!

1Gb is more than enough memmory for me but the 2Gb version is much faster. And the price difference (from where I would but them) is only $36.

Is there any knowlege on if either is better menufactored? Better durability? Anything?

1Gb
Sustained data rate = under 4mb/s
2Gb
Sustained data rate = 4.3 - 7.2 mb/s

Thanks in advende
skuliaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 6:16 PM   #2

Neither.

Buy 1G or 2G compact flash.

No moving parts in Compact Flash.

Two cents

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 6:56 PM   #3
Administrator

The 2GB is faster and it is built sturdier. Go for it.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:03 PM   #4

Yes, digcamfan
I have thought of that... butthe comonCompact Flash 1Gb has only a data transfer speed of 1-1.5Mb/s. And if I buy a faster one (or a 2Gb)then the price is just to high for meat the moment.

And for the moving barts in the Microdrive...i´ll just have to take better care of it .

I think I will go for the IBM 2gb MD if I still can aford it later this month...hehe.

Thanks digcamfan and Steve.

*edited...
P.s.: Unless I get 2x 512 Sandisk Ultra II (9mb/s) at just $10 more than a 1Gb microdrive? Though it would be nicer not to have to switch cards...

What do you think...2x 512 sandisk Ultra II or IBM 1gb Microdrive?

Old May 10, 2004, 9:48 PM   #5

I have had at least three IBM 1GB microdrives die on me. I say get a CF card instead. There's nothing worse than losing a few gigabytes of pictures. CF cards are more reliable. If you are worried about write speed, get a high speed CF card - they are much faster than microdrives.

Here is a comparison for CF card and microdrive speeds. The only cameras listed are dslr's so yours is not in there but it will give you an idea of which ones are faster. You can see that the microdrive beats out the plain sandisk, but the ultra II or extreme beats out the microdrive.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:59 PM   #6

If you are going to be shooting RAW, each image is about 12.8Mbytes so there is space for about 40 images on a 512M card. That could lead to a great deal of swapping. Fine JPEGs are about 4.8M.

Price is the big advantage of the microdrive: your price examples show a single 2G microdrive being about the same as two 512M cards. There is a greater risk with the microdrive, but I think that is often overstated. I have had no problems with my 1G microdrive in the past three years. Or with the 340M drive that came with the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 11:06 PM   #7
NHL

I'm with Bill on this, my microdrives are at least 3 years old too and they are still spinning happily... BTW the 4G microdrives from the Muvo2 are lowest cost/Mb if you can get your hand on one

If a camera interface is designed correctly (like a laptop) it's hard to beat the speed of the latest microdrives:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6817
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 11:36 PM   #8

Two Sandisk Ultra II sounds great!

I have two myself and they haveperformed likechamps!

You can find them on Ebay for a little over $100 sometimes.

Two (more) cents

I do, however, definitely defer to Steve's thoughts on 2G Microdrive.

He knows them.

I have never seen one to be honest.

I just have a preference for solid state media, I guess.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 6:23 AM   #9
NHL

My two cents: While the risk of microdrives is often overstated, the issues with flash are often understated :idea:

Check section 6 and 7 below of this application guide:
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng...ionguide_e.pdf

1. Flash are manufactured to include defective bits by design
2. Flash cells fail during use and you don't even need to drop the device on the floor
3. Flash do wear out through repeat writes
4. Just because you don't see the error doesn't mean the problem is not there -> they are effectively masked out by the "wear-leveling" and the "error-correction" in the controller (hardware or firmware)!
5. Ever wonder why you never get the full memory size when you format a solid-state device as compared to a spinning drive? hint: they are held in reserve for 4 above
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 7:29 AM   #10

Here is the price on these memories (lowesr ones i´ve found, from trusted stores):

Sandisk 512mb Ultra II $90 (2x $180)

1Gb MD $164

2Gb MD $196

I would probably go for the Sandisk Ultra but just the thought of allways changing memory (more chance of dropping it or damaging..hehe).
Wow... it´s hard to decide... there are realy 2 different views on this....but still, thanks for all the replies