Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 12, 2004, 8:44 PM   #1

I'm considering one of the Archos multimedia jukeboxes (Jukebox Multimedia 20 / 120 or AV120 (not the 320 - it's probably too expensive). I hope 20GB will be enough.... I might be taking up to a couple hours of video at 640x480 fine 30fps without access to a computer (unless my brother comes along and brings his laptop with a CD burner (he has a DVD burner at home but that won't help on the road.))
I picked the 4GB microdrive because I understand it's fast enough for video on the S1, and the price.

Anyone have suggestions for a good portable hard disk storage solution (with a color LCD so I can let my friends see the pics on there)?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 6:12 AM   #2
NHL

Make sure to try out if they can display RAW pictures (if you plan to use this format in the future): All portable hardisk with colorscreen can display JPEG, but some can't display RAW at all or have limited functionality like just showing thumbnails only in RAW without zooming capability for close up examination...

Quote:
Can FlashTrax display RAW format images on its LCD?
Yes, FlashTrax can display RAW format images from selected camera models from Canon (.CRW), FujiFilm (.RAF), Minolta (.MRW + .THM), Nikon (.NEF), Olympus (.ORF) and Pentax (.PEF). FlashTrax displays RAW files using the JPEG image embedded in most RAW files, so display time is quite fast.

The resolution of the displayed RAW file (and therefore the extent of zooming possible) depends on the resolution of the JPEG information stored in the RAW file by the particular camera manufacturer.
http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Di.../FlashTrax.asp
http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/00...1000c16919.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 3:53 PM   #3

Ok... I looked at the flashtrax... I don't like the short battery life... I'd prefer at least 2 to 2.5x the battery life on a single charge, if possible.

Oh, and I clicked on the "buy" option on the 20GB version.
OUCH!! $400!!! That's way out of my price range.

Something like the Archos AV120 is somewhat closer to my price range, but if I can get the price under $275 that would be nice.
http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500512.html

Old May 13, 2004, 9:46 PM   #4

I wonder if I'd be better off getting an older laptop with a USB port, and a USB hard drive enclosure? I have a 250GB hard drive in a removable bay in my dad's computer that I could store stuff on.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:01 AM   #5

you know the video length in s1 is not unlimited as it's advertised, instead it's limited upto 1gb or 1hr. so u will have seperate videos. just wanted u to be aware of that (if u r not already of course)

h.
h-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:46 PM   #6

I already knew that. It's just that I might be somewhere in July where I might shoot a total of a few hours of video at the highest quality setting.