Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 14, 2004, 5:53 AM   #1

ok... I just basically need something that will let me plug in my 250GB hard disk via a USB enclosure, and let me transfer files via a CF card reader from a 4GB MD when I get one for my Canon S1 IS. I don't plan to be playing games much on this laptop, so it doesn't need to be all THAT powerful... although being able to load a few older (2 - 3 or more years) games on it might be nice.
I'm looking for something capable of running Windows 2000 (or XP), with at least 128MB of RAM, and enough built-in hard disk space so I can have the OS and some essential apps installed (I'd run pretty much everything else I could off the 250GB that I'd pull out of my dad's computer, so I think 4-6GB internal would probably be enough). A CD writer would be nice, but I'd be willing to forego that, but a CD reader is a definite must.
I've been looking on ebay, but have been getting quite a few search results and am not quite sure what to look for.

Btw. I prefer USB 2.0 if possible, but even with USB 1.0 would I be able to quickly unload a 4GB MD so I can shoot some more with the S1 IS, or would it be possible to connect the S1 to the laptop and use the HD plugged into the laptop for storage?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 6:03 AM   #2
NHL

What about this option from Steve's Breaking News page:

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_news_pr...es_050504.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 2:40 PM   #3

sounds interesting. I'd like to have an LCD screen so I can see pictures on it. Maybe there's a way to have it use the screen on my camera?
Old May 14, 2004, 7:13 PM   #4
Administrator

We use an old Toshiba Laptop while on vacation. I bought it a couple of years back for a whopping $212.00 on Ebay. It has Win '98, USB port, built in modem, nice TFT display,etc.

Typically, we'll just copy the photos to the laptop when traveling. Then, when I get back home, I'llcopy them to a USB attached hard disk drive (you can find these for not much at computer dealers).

This is not the most high tech solution, but it works for us (and you can find some pretty good deals on used laptops). Personally, I trust a hard disk drive, more than I trusta CD.

[added]
Of course, as an added "bonus", you can check your e-mail when on the road, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 2:59 PM   #5

I also use a laptop when on the road for extra storage. For the price of a used laptop you just cant beat it. Plus if you are bored in your hotel at night you can start editing the pictures, and also surf the net.

Tom
Texas Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 4:07 PM   #6

You might look for a local flea market or computer fair or show. There are always gobs of used laptops. My local flea market has a couple of booths just for used laptops. And the few computer shows I've attended had hundreds of them.

I trust a CD fine if I can check it before dumping the pictures from the card.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 9:28 PM   #7

What should be the minimum I should look for in a laptop?

I'm either going to be running Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

So far I'm thinking...
at least 6GB hard drive (mainly for the OS and a few programs)
either 400MHz for 2000 or 550MHz for XP
128MB RAM
USB port (2.0 would be nice but could I add something inexpensive to support it)
USB enclosure for my 250GB hard drive

a CD writer would be nice but lack of one at the price I'm looking at would not be a deal breaker.

btw... price is a fairly important issue for me, so the lower priced it is the better.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:36 PM   #8

for that kind of system your looking at $300 - $500 on ebay. Here in Houston they are a good bit less than ebay. Another option is the Micro Solutions RoadStor you can go here and have a look.

http://www.roadstor.com/

It costs $269 but you cant see your pics on it.

If you have trouble locating a laptop or you cant find a good deal then give me a PM. I am a reseller of computer equipment and I always have some laptops around.

Tom

Texas Tam is offline   Reply With Quote