Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:23 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I just bought a Canon A75 and I need a 512 MB Compact Flash. Well, guess what ? I have no idea what the speed of the card should be like to work well taking movies at 640x480 resolution (which can't be longer than 30 seconds anyway). Just an average customer here, with his first (low-end) digital camera : I am NOT a Pro-Ultra-eXtreme-whatever guru, so a regular card would be great (and cheaper!) as long as the camera can take VGA clips & pictures with it. When I take pictures I always use the same settings: a resolution of 1600x1200 (Medium 1) and the SupeFine compresssion.
Also, I download pictures/movies on my computer directly from the camera (.. and no, I'm not intended to buy a card reader).

Is there a Canon A75 owner out there willing to drop a line or two on this subject ? Already tried with the Canon online support but they answered to look at the owner's manual which states that when recording a VGA movie the size of the file is approx. 990 KB/sec (drops down to 330 KB/sec in the 320x240 mode). Didn't help me, as I still don't know what is the speed of the card required. 1x-4x-8x-12x ? :?

By the way, I'll be soon flying to Austin, TX. Hey Austinities I have a question for you also: what's the best storeover there with great deals on CF cards?

THANK YOU
nuncius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:46 PM   #2
AMG

I have the same camera and the speed of the card I believe is only for how fast it writes the data to the card, so in other words, if you get a faster card, you can take more pics per second which is good if taking photos at spoting events, otherwise, if it's not an issue to wait a couple of seconds to take another picture, don't pay more for faster cards.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:56 PM   #3

I know.. as a matter of fact I'm really not worried about taking pictures and having to wait a few seconds before the next shot.I'm concerned about the movie mode. Iguess whenyou make movieswith a 640x480 res. there's a bigger flow of data tobesaved.. so speed could be an issue and perhaps the cmera would just stop filming if the card cannot writefast enough. I'm just guessing, though. I only have been using the 'high speed' (?)32MB which came with the camera.

Ever had any problem withVGA movies ? WhatCFare you using, anyway?

nuncius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:48 AM   #4
AMG

i bought a 256 non high speed and videos work fine
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote