Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 4, 2004, 2:42 PM   #1

Hi all, I'm relatively new to digital cameras, etc., but have just purchased a Muvo with the 4gb Microdrive for my Fuji S7000, and as most of you will know, it doesn't work! I keep getting the "Card Not Initialised" display. I have formatted it twice already, both in FAT32 & FAT 16, but it wont work. It is now freezing the camera when I switch it on with the Microdrive installed.

Can any of you recommend any 1 or 2 gb drives (can these be bought ready for use, ie simply slot them in & proceed, or do they all need to be formatted?) which do work on the S7000 or would I be safer sticking with the Fuji 256 or 512 MB cards?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy
andygilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:49 PM   #2

Go with highest compact flash that your S7000 will allow and return the 4 gig hard drive. For instance: If you have 1G max then buy 4 1g compact flash. Get Ultra II if you can afford it

This is why:

1. You are putting all eggs in one basket with the big drive.

2. Moving parts on hard drive = extra potential for failure/damage (if dropped).

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:19 AM   #3

I also own a Fuji S7000 camera. It is a real nice camera for the price. However, because the camera's operating system is only a FAT 16 system, the largest microdrive the camera can use is a 2 GB drive. At 2 GB the camera will correctly format and use the drive. I have purchased the Magicstor 2.2 GB microdrive from http://www.bananapc.com/Search/produ...cstor&Op=2for $148.00. Yes, this drive is larger that 2 GB. Because of this, the drive must be placed in a card reader attached to your PC and formatted to FAT 16. This is not difficult to do. Once the drive is formatted in the PC, it now has a formatted size of 1.98 GB and may be used normally in the Fuji S7000 camera. A word of warning. While most card readers will work with this microdrive, stay away from the Dazzle products, specifically the Dazzle 10 and 1. It currupts the avi movi files when copying them to the PC.
wpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 5:56 PM   #4

I had asked in another form, but I guess I'll ask here too. Can you walk me through the steps of formatting the 2.2 Magicstor? I bought one for my s7000 but am clueless as to how you actually format it.
richardyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:54 PM   #5

You will need to format the Magicstor on your computer, not the camera. Insert the Magicstor 2.2GB microdrive in a USB card reader that will hold the microdrive on your home computer. On Windows XP, select Start, then right-click on My Computer. Select Manage. Select Disk Management. Select the microdrive on the drive list, right click in the drive then select Format. Use the Quick Format.
wpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:23 PM   #6

What exactly is a USB card reader? I don't actually have one of those, at least I don't think so.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:43 AM   #7
Administrator

richardyoung wrote:
Quote:
What exactly is a USB card reader? I don't actually have one of those, at least I don't think so.
An external device to read your memory cards outside of your camera. Here's a list of our card reader reviews:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#readers

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:47 PM   #8

Okay...thanks, that definitely helps, but here is my question.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

I don't know how accurate it is, but this individual is telling me that it can be done through the camera (and it more or less is advised to be done that way). Can it be done and is it advised to do it that way??

-RY