Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:55 PM   #1

I was just catching up on some computer tech sites news and seeing whats been going on....just the usual surfing through the 40-50 computer related sites I have in my favourites folder and came across some exciting news coming from Seagate:

Quote:
The latter is a surprise in the announcement, since Seagate was less than vocal about this segment so far and Hitachi and Toshiba have been creating all the buzz. These 1 inch drives will come in Compact Flash II as well as PATA flex form factors and offer an interesting new option for users of digital cameras or PDAs which are used as audio players. Detailed pricing guidelines of these drives are not yet available, but Jeff Loebakka, Seagate's vice president of global product marketing indicated that these drives will cost less than $150. While some criticized Seagate has not jumped into this segment earlier, Loebakka believes that the timing for the 1 inch drives is "just right": "The industry will have a hard time meeting the demand for these drives in this year, which will reach about eight million in 2004 and about 20 million in 2005. This segment is about to take off."

Check out the news post here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...08_130955.html

All I can say is I can't wait for this since we will finally have a choice between two manufactures for a 1" compact flash type II micro drive. This will definately drive down prices which is great for us, the end consumer.:-)$150usd for a 2.5gb microdrive would be an insane deal... can't wait till Q304!

EDITED: My bad.....just I should learn to check to see if this sort of thing had already been posted.... like here:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52:angry:

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 7:28 PM   #2
NHL

tkmckay wrote:
Quote:
...All I can say is I can't wait for this since we will finally have a choice between two manufactures for a 1" compact flash type II micro drive. This will definately drive down prices which is great for us, the end consumer.:-) $150usd for a 2.5gb microdrive would be an insane deal... can't wait till Q304!
You don't have to wait that long, the MagicStor 2.2GB Plus is an upgraded version (with improved compatibility) of my older MagicStor 2.2G which I have been using with my 10D for over 6 months now:

http://www.supermediastore.com/magic...icrodrive.html

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote