Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:44 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Nikon D100 and a 2 Gig. Hatachi Microdrive. I soon discovered that a number of the photos that I thought I took, as I saw on the D100's LCD screen were not recorded on the drive. I reformatted the drive in the camera and, for a while, everything was ok. Now, the problem is reoccuring and it has become frustrating. I contacted both Nikon and Hatachi Tech previouilsy and neither seemed to know what the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of the problem or it's solution?

Thnaks,

Richard

rmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2004, 6:28 PM   #2

I think I know the reason. I have a magicstor 2.2 GB microdrive. I bought this one for my canon S1. There have been a lot of this microdrive's issue but it works on canon S1. I found the same problem when I just got them. Now I don't have any problem. I think I found the reason.

No matter it is hitachi or magicstor, they are all microdrives which are HARD DRIVE! So there are some kind of physical moving part inside. and the responding time ( I mean when you take picture or movie, the time from you push the shutter and the drive start to record, or after you finish recording and the drive stops) isSLOWER than solid compact flash or other kinds card. Let's say you took a picture and then change the camera the view picture immediatly, the drive can not react that fast, then something wrong. data missing at this moment. Or after you took picture then turn off your camera right away without any stop. same thing may happen.

So, if you give the drive a little bit time to change the status to "READY", everything will be fine. Try it. that is my experience. Hopely can help you.
unclesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:05 PM   #3

Thank you, unclesam. I will try doing what you suggest and see what happens.

Richard
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:56 AM   #4

I just found out this past weekend that Ritz has the Hitachi 2 gb microdrive for $250. My favorite professional photo store has the drive for $279. This has piqued my interest. I understand that additional shock absorbing material has been added.

I would like to hear other peoples experience with the drive. How hard is it on battery life? Is it noisy? Does the drive spin continuously or only when there is data activity? How long does it take to download a full drive to a PC?

$250 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 2 gb CF card!.

Incidentally, I am using a Nikon D100.

I have read some fairly bad reports on the Magicstore drive and am not interested in it.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:06 PM   #5

Hello,

I have a 2GB and it works great for me. The 2GB and 4GB do have a shock absorbing bumper, which you can see. This has also helped to increase the drop shock rating to 2000Gs, which is equivelent to CF.

I would expect your LCD to be more of a concern with respect to battery life than the MD. Although it does require a little more current, in my opinon it is not of that much concern. Most photogs use their LCD religously and is the biggest source of battery drain.

As for the noise, I don't notice any noise. If you put your ear to the drive, you may hear a little spinning or the occasional mini hard disk sound, but not enough to be considered "noise".

Itdoes not spin indefinitely. The drive detects signals from the camera and will determine when to go into power saving mode. When not in use, it will go into standby where it consumes less.

I use a Microtech FireWire card reader and it usually takes about 7 minutes or so to dump a 2GB MD on my P4 2.4Ghz PC. Although I suppose there are faster readers now!

Hope this helps and good luck!
Shane Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 4:21 PM   #6

Thanks. That was just the kind of information I was looking for. I am going on a Hawaiin cruise in September and I would like to shoot nef/raw or tif for most of my shots. A 256 mb CF will only hold about 16-18 nef images. I could shoot that many in just a few minutes!

One more question--How long does it take to format the drive. In my D100 on battery power, it takes about 20 seconds to format a 256 mb CF.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 3:51 PM   #7

Thanks for your replies. My drive is prettty quite. I use a compact flash card reader to transfer the images on the 2 gig card to my computer. While I don't completely fill the card, I find that it does take several minutes for NEF files to be transferred to my computer. Tiff and Large Jpgs take less time.

I think I found the problem that I presented originally. The camera must be kept on while the files are being transferred from the camera's buffer to the micro drive. If a series of photos are taken and the camera then turned off, (which I have a habit of doing)only the image that was in the process of being transferred will wind up on the card. Any others won't. Hence, the problem of dropped images is solved. Tried this out yesterday in a nature walk. I took 78 NEFs, left the camera on and all 78 were recorded. I did get bit up by mosquitoes and found 3 ticks on me when I got home. Next time I'll remember to bring the bug spray with me.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:14 PM   #8
Administrator

Doctor it hurts when I do this .... so don't do it :lol:

You can leave the D100 turned on forever, it won't run the battery down hardly at all. The camera will go into sleep mode after a while but even when it isn'[t, it uses very little power. One battery lasts me a very long time in my D100.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:36 PM   #9

Thanks, Steve. I realized that the other day while shooting the Tall Ships as they sailed into the Philadelphia, Camden , NJ area for the 4th of July Weekend.I am still learning the camera, since I've only had it a few weeks. I hadn't read the section warning not to turn the camera off until all of the imageshave been transferred to the drive. So I will srudy the manual with a passion.