Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:17 PM   #1

Does anyone have feedback with any particular brand of the PCMCIA/SD adapters?

There are a number of them, with widely varying speed specifications (the PNY PPCCARD41 lists it's speed at up to 16.7 mbps. There's also a Kingston (no speed specification provided, a Sandisk, and a couple others too, while another that looks really interesting, except for the rated speed, is an Addonics 4-in-1 Dual, with a unique feature that it's a PCMCIA card AND a USB device too, via a unique doohickey that attaches to the card when it's not being used as a card. The downside is that it'sonly rated at 3MB per sec in PCMCIA mode, and USB 1.1 speeds, and also that there's not a single shred of user review or feedback anywhere to be found on the web.

My laptop only has USB 1.1, by the way, which is part of the reason the PCMCIA option looks interesting.

Unfortunately, this general class of product doesn't seem to be popular enough to have created a large pool of actual user reviews and experiences. Any comments here?
johnxtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:44 PM   #2

I got a cheese one at Radio Shack. It works, but its slightly slower than USB1.1. I couldn't tell you the brand.

I believe you need a modern PC Card setup to get the more advanced CF->PC Card to work at their fastest rates. But I would read around more to make sure that is true. If so, you might not get any benefit from it any ways.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:10 AM   #3

there is only one high speed cf/pcmcia card available at this moment. it is the
[glow=yellow]aska cf32a speedover card[/glow]it runs at or faster then both firewire or usb2. you must have a cardbus capable cf slot. it has a small bit of software to drive it at its full 32 bit bandwidth. it resides semipermenantly in my slot. supports type I/II cards price ~$45

it is marketed by both delkin and now lexar under their own names. there are now various configs for each mem type. no 4in1 types though at this time. i use the cf model and have a sd to cf adapter from minolta tha works beautifully in the adapter and in camera if needed.

http://www.delkin.com

http://www.lexarmedia.com

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:29 AM   #4

Thanks, SJ, that's what I call an answer!
johnxtampa is offline   Reply With Quote