Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:17 AM   #1

Hello good people!

I have just bought a Sony dsc-p100 and now I want more memory.

My question is what this Ultra II does compared to an "ordinary" memory stick pro. I know that it's faster but will that only make the transfer from the camera to the computer faster or is there some other upside?

Thanks
Gunnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2

The Ultra II is a Compact Flash card (CF), the camera you got only uses the standard called "memory stick". They are not compatable.

Also, Sony owns the rights to MS and has only just recently licensed it to others. This has meant that they can charge whatever they can get away with and with little compatition there has been little advancement in the standard. The cards are still fairly small and only recently memory stick pro has come out to deal with it.

The joy of close standards.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:17 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I must say that I doubt that this is a compact flash card though, since the name of it is "SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 256MB Ultra II".
Look at these two links for example:
http://uk.pricerunner.com/computing/...197636/details
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
Gunnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:53 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, there is such a card...

Other than the faster camera to computer transfer rate you'll probably only notice a little speedup in the write to card process after a burst capture. None of the Sony cameras have much of a buffer and their burst capabilities are very limited. Basically the answer to your question is no.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:43 PM   #5

Wow, SanDisk licensed the Memory Stick? I knew someone did, but I didn't realize that they had. I guess you can ignore all my comments above. I'll have to remember that next time!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:07 AM   #6

I Havetwo Sandisk 256mb memory stick pro sticksandone 512 Sandisk memory stick Pro sticksfor my DSC F717. I have been very pleased with all of them. If you shop carefully you can find decent deals on them. I have had good luck with Circuit City.

Most memory card readers now will read them. I use a Sandisk 8-in-1 card reader too.

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote