Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:05 PM   #1

I'm looking for a Compact Flash PCMCIA Card with an eject button. Anyone seen one of these? I need to be able to "eject" the CF card by itself and not have to eject the whole card from my Powerbook. Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.:-)
vfib71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:50 AM   #2

I'm a little unclear on what you're asking.

Are you taking a CF card and putting it into a PCMCIA (now called PCCard) adapter and putting it into your Powerbook? So what you want to do it leave the CF Card adapter in the PCMCIA slot and just remove the CF card.

Correct?

If so, I have never seen a CF -> PCMCIA adapter that can do this. But that certainly does not mean one doesn't exist.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:56 PM   #3

Yes, you are correct. That is exactly what I want to do. I don't understand why manufactures are not producing a CF PC Card Reader with this essential function. Having to eject the PC Card in order to take out the CF makes absolutely no sense but hopefully there must be some engineering reason behind it. I was just hoping someone out in the world knew of one that had this vital function.
vfib71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:40 PM   #4
NHL

Most of theses PC Card are passive meaning the signals are just pass-though with no logic involved -> inserting/ejecting a PCMCIA card usually involves a CardWizard or Socket Services support by the OS (might be different with a MAC) which are not called if only the CF portion is installed or removed and will usually "hang" and defeat Plug-and-Play.

The other consideration is the power sequencing during "hot-plug" which is well documented in the CF association, with some pins longer than others, but quite risky for the end-user... has anyone dare to remove the flash card while the camera is busy/powered?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:52 PM   #5

i'm afraid that is a no answer at this time.

engineering answer sort of: cost vs sellability. the price to produce one that does what you want and its basic sellability in a market that fewer and fewer are used. the current price of a standard cf pc adapter is around $8 retail. adding a mechanism in that form factor could possibly 2x or 3x the price again for a low selling item. most people plug in either their camera of reader and do the job.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:17 PM   #6

Another reason not to do it is the eject button would stick out fairly far, and could risk braking off. You could recess it and maybe have it be spring loaded, but that gets into even more complexity to raise the cost (and something else to break.)

If you made the card stick our further (to make the eject button easier to reach) then the card would be larger and cost more to make (and it could get caught on things.)

Personally, I find the it isn't hard to remove the PC Card adapter... my worst fear is that I'll loose it while on vacation. Now tha twould be annoying.

Eric
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:32 PM   #7

Dell laptops have a built in, retractable eject button.

Also, Sandisk CF PCMCIA card has an eject button on it.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:31 AM   #8

Yes, every PCCard slot has an eject button and most now are retractable (to protect them from being broken off.) I wouldn't be surprised if there is only one or two manufacturers left in the world and every one uses them.

I just went to the sandisk web site and looked at their PC Card adapters they sell but didn't see one with an eject button (don't mean it isn't there, the give very few details on the products.) He wants it accessable while its plugged into the PC Card slot. Is it?

Eric