Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 17, 2004, 3:04 AM   #21

OK I do hear it when I hold it up to my ear and yes it does make sounds like what you describe. Mine isn't in continuous AF but it goes from a high pitch tone to a crackling sound depending on the state of the AS.

Either your ears are more sensitive or it is getting dampened by the extra battery pack on my unit.

Fortunately the weekend is upon us and we can now go out and shoot rather than play.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 5:02 AM   #22

So, to clarify, what you are saying is that with Anti-Shake switched on, when you half depress the shutter, youcan hear a noise similar to that of electrical interference, contacts shorting out or fizzy drink gently escaping from the bottle?!?!

Sorry to repeat myself, but if this is what you are saying...........what a relief!!!

Just a simple yes will suffice.

Thanks.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:12 AM   #23

Yes I do hear it..
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:37 PM   #24

Thanks again CastleDude !

Anybody else wish to put forward their "benchmark" results for cards for the A2 ? All comments welcome.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:38 AM   #25

To CastleDude----Update on AS noise.

I received this in an email from someone at KM,

you have noticed the sound of the Anti Shake system in operation. This noise is nothing onerous, please do not be alarmed

I know, your thinking "i told you so", but i had already asked them before, and this puts my mind at rest for sure.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:31 PM   #26

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I know, your thinking "i told you so", but i had already asked them before, and this puts my mind at rest for sure.
Actually I am glad to here it from the source. I think you know that some of the original A2s had some early QC problems. Even here Steve had to return his eval model for another.

I even paid a few extra bucks so I could get the camera at a retailer that has a easy return policy.

It looks like the first cameras actually released are doing pretty good. I sure am having a great time with mine so far.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:18 AM   #27

Anybody still not sure?? Try this,http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A2/A2A7.HTM it links to "Dave's" shutter lag & cycle time tests with the A2 and Lexar 40x & Lexar 80x but is a good indication to card speed usage! It's worth looking at his Test results & Conclusion, in fact the whole review!! Heck, the site is pretty good too!!!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:12 PM   #28

That is a cool site. Looks like his numbers are pretty close to mine for the Lexar, well its nice to know that the 80x is no better than the 40x.

His numbers with the 1x card were also interesting.

I noticed this site today http://www.pbase.com/mtf_foto_studies/mtf_faq

It's also pretty interesting with some warnings about using the Hitachi drives at high altitude. It has a lot of good info on the A1/A2 cameras.

Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:00 PM   #29

Especially nice to know that the A2 can use 40x even without utilizing wa and as you pointed out, no need to pay a bigger premium for 80x.

Pbase now in my favourites list. I only had a quick look for now but it seems to describethings in plainEnglishso i can understand them.

Cheers
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:12 AM   #30

"From the posts over on dpreview the sweet spot card is the Lexar 12x it gives about the same performance as the 40x card but costs less."

So...it would appear that the A2 rate of transfer etc., is optimized at 12x and it's a waste of $$$ to purchase a faster card.
smartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote