Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:17 AM   #31

Sorry...tried to delete post can't figure out how.
smartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:15 AM   #32

The only caveat is that none of the dpreview tests with the slower card was done in the high resolution movie mode.

Because of the continuous nature of this test it may overflow the card. If that is important to you you might want to get a higher speed card just to make sure.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 1:20 PM   #33

Smartyboy, have a look at this review, http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A2/A2A7.HTM, it shows a nominal difference between 40x & 80x cards, but does suggest that the A2 can makeuse of 40x. Check out the list he gives and look at the second paragraph at the end of the page.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:50 AM   #34

Thought I'd add my twopenneth since I found this thread very useful when buying my A2 and wondering if my standard Sandisk card was good enough.
I ordered a Sandisk 512mb UltraII but (long story) ended up with a Dane-Elec XS 512Mb instead.
Did some checks as per CastleDude's settings and got:
---Dane ElecXS 512Mb ... avg 40s (monitor on or off)
---normal Sandisk 512Mb...avg 60s (monitor on) 50s (monitor off)
Looks like the Lexar just has the edge but for the sake of a few seconds it comes to cheapest on offer.
SteveOnPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:06 AM   #35

Looks like the Dane ElecXS 512mb does pretty good. I agree that a few seconds here or there doesn't matter especially if you can get one at the right price. Personally i went for the Lexar because you also get Image Recovery 2 and a jumpshot lead with the card, plus of course the resulting performance is as good as most.

Stevekin.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:56 PM   #36

I have just spent 4 or 5 hours searching for the answer to the Lexar speed question with the Dimage A2 and have found your joint discussions highly interesting and justifying my leaning towards the Lexar 80x.

Very many thanks to you all and Good shooting

OldBolexUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:24 AM   #37

Welcome OldBolexUser, hope you are enjoying your A2. Regarding the Lexar 80x, it is felt that the A2 cannot benefit from anything above 40x with any noticable appreciation. You may see a difference uploading to your PC in terms of speed and if you find one for not much more money than a 40x, then go for it. But if it's going to cost considerably more , i personally, couldn't justify it.

I am happy with my couple of Lexar 40x wa 512mb cards, but was quite surprised at how long it takes to transfer. Although i am coming from a Ricoh Caplio RR30 3.2 megapixel to an A2 8 megapixel so perhaps i shouldn't be.

Regards

Stevekin.