Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:07 PM   #1

Hi, I have already learned a lot from reading the forums, and triedsome of your suggestions to fix my xD picture card. Like alot of you, I recieved a card error after copying my files to my computer, removing the card from the reader, and replacing it in my camera. I think the card is dead, as I tried the "card wiper" software, and the belay software. I also tried to format the card on a Fuji and an Olympus camera. I also cleaned the card with alcohol. Nothing worked, I just got another card error message when I tried to format the card in my camera. Now, I would like to try to format it with the computer (Win XP). Can someone tell me how to do it? If this doesn't work I think I'll give up, unless someone else has any ideas. Iknow there is probably an explanationsomewhere out there, butmy eyes are blank after staring at thisscreen all day trying to fix my picture card! Thanksya'll.:shock:
bischnou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:28 AM   #2

You may want to check over on DPReview.

http://search.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=xd+card&forum=1008&fields =subject

If the above string doesn work, go to dpreview.com; look for the Olympus forum; and search on "xd card".

I don't know if this search string will yield any workable solutions for you, but it's worth a try. Otherwise, I think you have a bad xD card. Final solution may be contacting Olympus or the manufacturer of your card and ask if they will replace it.

Good luck.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07

plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:46 AM   #3

Hey, thanks, but I think I'm going to give up! I probably won't use the card reader anymore. Never had a single problem transfering pics direct from camera to computer using the USB cable... This is definately the method that I recomend!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:00 PM   #4
Administrator

If you are unable to format the card in your camera, and must try the reader, make sure to format it as FAT (which is really FAT16) under Windows XP. By default, newer operating systems like Win 'XP, use a 32 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table), which is not compatible with most cameras. Most cameras use a 16 bit FAT.

If all else fails, the card is probably covered by a manufactuer's warranty.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:26 PM   #5

Could you please tell me how to format it in the computer? I would really appreciate that!! I actually got the card for free as a rebate, so I don't know if they'll replace it. I guess I just want to get my card back the way it was before I go buy a new one, I'm kinda stubborn like that...
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:16 AM   #6
Administrator

The card must be visible as a drive letter, either via the camera attached via USB, or by using a Card Reader. Make sure to select FAT (which is FAT16) as the file system.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=309000#5

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:42 PM   #7

I really appreciate all the help from people in the forums, but alas, my card is still not working even after I formatted it in the computer. Thanks again for your help, and I guess I'll head down to the store to get me another one. Luckily it was only 64 MB.