Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:06 PM   #11

I pull it out but not before closing all windows or applications that may be using the memory card. Doing eject efectively removes the card reader altogether and I would need to phisically unplug and plug back the reader. Doesn't seem like much but the USB port is not very accesible.

When I insert the memory card an autoplay dialog always shows up which means Windows is recognizing the card properly. Also the cam2PC dialog appears as well. This is a Dazzle SD card reader if that matters - with just one slot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you are thinking if this is related, that doesn't explain why it happened to both cards almost at the same time and while in the camera, not in the card reader.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 1:46 PM   #12

Reviving this....

A week later of significant usage of the camera and both memory cards (I am on vacation these days), including filling the 128 MB card to the brim in one of the sessions, no problems so far. Using same camera, memory cards, batteries and card reader.

What happened before seemed to be a strange freak ocurrence.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:05 PM   #13
Administrator

luisr wrote:
Quote:
Reviving this....

A week later of significant usage of the camera and both memory cards (I am on vacation these days), including filling the 128 MB card to the brim in one of the sessions, no problems so far. Using same camera, memory cards, batteries and card reader.

What happened before seemed to be a strange freak ocurrence.
Well, just "chalk it up" to a solar flare, causing a burst of electromagnetic radiation, that caused your memory cards to malfunction --similiar to the way an electro magnetic pulse (EMP)that follows a nuclear explosion will fry microelectronic circuits, unless they've been "hardened", i.e. shielded with a special casing. :roll:

Actually, there is some debate, over how sensitive flash memory may be tomagnetic interference. See this document from HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=buy00498

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote