Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:17 AM   #1

It started by not letting me continuously write a few GB of data to it (I wanted to transfer several movies I had shot with my S1 IS back onto the card, and it would copy a few then hiccup.) Then I noticed it wasn't letting me copy data past about a gig and a half full. Now, my computer's not even seeing it, and my camera comes up with a memory card error. I don't have $275 to spend on another one, and if I did I would rather have 250GB or 300GB rather than 4GB (comparing approximate prices of 3.5" computer HDs btw).
What could I do to try to resurrect it?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Administrator

Are you reading/writing to the Microdrive using a card reader or while it is in the camera and using camera's USB to computer?

Note that some card readers even though they have CF2 slot, are not designed for devices like Microdrives which pull more power than solid-state flash cards. Most modern external card readers are USB bus-powered devices (no external power supply) and can run into problems when used with Microdrives.

However, it does sound as if your Microdrive has gone bad and will require servicing by Hitachi. Which could be a crapshoot as I do not know what their policy is on warranty repair of OEM drives -- I am assuming that you bought a white label 4GB Hitachi from somebody on eBay or yanked it out of a Muvo yourself? If you pulled it from a Muvo you might be able to put it back in and send it to Creative Labs for repair and claim that your MP3 player just stopped working ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:03 PM   #3
NHL

Do you have access to a laptop?

Try it there in the PC-Card slot... Theses have the closest CF signaling through a PCMCIA adapter. If all else fail you can always format or do an FDISK command from there. :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:32 AM   #4

Steve - I bought a white-label version on ebay.
I tried reviewing (and recording) in camera, coyping from camera to computer, and copying from card reader to computer. When I go into the menu it skips over the CF entry on the menu so I can't format it. When I do properties on the computer it says 0 bytes capacity, 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free.

NHL - My bro has a laptop that runs WinXP Pro, and I have a PCMCIA adapter that came with the microdrive. I would be willing to try that, as there is no critical data on the microdrive right now that I haven't already saved when it was working properly.

As for repair/replacement, what would repair cost? I don't need a $300 / whatever data recovery service, all I need is a working microdrive, and probably something more durable, even though I have been quite careful about not dropping it and throwing it around.

If I have to get a new one, would the Seagate one be more durable, or where (preferably before late August 2004 but willing to wait till November or early December 2004) could I get something with a minimum of 4GB capacity that will record continuous 640x480 fine 30fps video (up to the 1GB / 1 hour limit) for no more than, say, $100-150 if I get it before September, or maybe $200-250 (not stretching quite so much then) if I wait till, say, December? Or, should I get a better 1GB CF card and a PSD?
If I go with the 1GB and PSD, we will also need to keep in mind that there is often as little as 15 seconds between video clips, sometimes. What would be my best option? If I HAVE to spend some dinero, it will not happen this month (July), as I can not afford it now, and preferably not August, but I may be making a trip in September and will want to be able to record a couple hours (if not more) of high quality video. And, the camcorder I would want for doing that does not exist for the price I could afford, so I have to use the camera I have.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:37 AM   #5
Administrator

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
When I do properties on the computer it says 0 bytes capacity, 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free.
I don't know much about microdrives. However, it seems to me that if the computer at least recognizes that the drive is there (only showing 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free), then it should be able to format it. If not, then the partition could just be damaged.

Edit: Of course, I may be wrongly assuming that the computer is recognizing the drive, as it could just be recognizing the card reader. Do you get the same thing if the microdrive is not in the reader?

I don't know how Win XP's disk admin does it, but with older operating systems (i.e., Win '98, Win '95, DOS), you could simply use Fdisk.exe to delete partitions, recreate partitions, etc. This was always "standard procedure" for a brand new hard disk drive (partition the drive with Fdisk, before you could format it for the operatingsystem).

NHL mentioned using Fdisk, too, and his idea of using a PCMCIA CompactFlash II reader in a laptopis a good one (to take the power question out of the equation, since many readers are powered over USB). With Win '98, fdisk.exe is usuallyin the c:windows\command directory (folder).

I don't know if fdisk.exe ships with Win 'XP or not (search your drive for it, if it's not in the path). It not, you may be able to use a Win '98 PC to delete any partitions, and recreate a new one, as long a the drive is not physically damaged or has bad components). Then, Win 'XP should be able to format it.

Be carefuly not to accidently delete the partitions on the PC's hard disk, though. :sad:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:24 AM   #6
NHL

... You should heed to Steve's advice as well

Unless you're using a laptop, most procedures and commands are for not if your Microdrive is starved for power. A unit load is defined to be only 100 mA on a USB port, much lower than what a Microdrive can draw at its peak. A powered hub/reader will likely improve your chance for success (ie. with an external power supply).

:idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote