Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:42 AM   #1

Hi,

I am considering buying a 256Mb Toshiba SD memory card, but when check out the specifications it states a transfer rate of 2mb/s. Is this any good? The card is admittedly quite cheap, but I wasn't sure if the speed was low as a consequence.

What do others feel is the minimum speed I should look for in a card? I am on a moderate budget, and also need anything blisteringly fast - I just don't want to feel cheated with a huge card that is ponderously slow!

David
David_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 8:11 AM   #2
Administrator

Toshiba, Panasonic and Sandisk are the "big 3" Secure Digital Manufacturers. These companies jointly developed Secure Digital.

The Toshiba 256mb Secure Digital card in256mb SD is sort of an "oddball", in that's in not rated as fast as the Panasonic Cards in 256mb size, but it's more reliable in my camera, compared to the Sandisk 256mb cards (which are also slow in this size).

In fact, in 256mb size, the Toshiba and Panasonic cards are the only ones approved for use in my camera by the manufacturer (Konica-Minolta).Toshiba cards work fine in 256mb size. In 512mb size,ONLY Panasonic Secure Digital Cards are tested to be compatible. My camera is the Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500).

It's not just the speed, it's the reliability.

BTW, the Secure Digital Cards from Panasonic and Simpletech are rated at 10mb/second in 256mb or 512mb size. In sizes smaller than 256mb, the SD cards from all manufacturers are rated slower (2 - 3 mb/second).

However, your camera may or may not be able to take advantge of the extra speed.

If you can find a Panasonic, Simpletech or Lexar "High Speed 32x" card for about the same price in this size, I'd probably go with it. Otherwise, I'd suggest picking the Toshiba (in 256mb or smaller sizes only) over the other brands you'll find.

Unfortunately,it's too difficult to tell what supplier is being used by other brands. For example: Dane_Elec, Lexar (standard vs. high speed), PNY, Transcend, Pretec and Viking have all produced cardsusing more than one type of components.

What camera are you using, and how cheap is "quite cheap" for the Toshiba 256mb SD? If you use the price search engines, you may be able to find a Simpletech or Panasonic Card (these are both 10mb/second in larger sizes) for about the same price.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:00 AM   #3

It's a Minolta Dimage Z1, and I am currently checking out some of the very cheap cards on eBay. Although the postage is £7, the cards only start at 1p so I am looking for a bargain!

Also, are there any differences in cards from the US and those from the UK/other countries? A naive question I know, but US electrical goods are often rated differently compared to UK counterparts, and I don't want to get something that may not work. I'm guessing that the cards are the same worldwide, but thought it best to check first.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:07 AM   #4
Administrator

I would not expect there to be any difference in memory cards produced for the U.K.

I will let you know, that in theZ1/Z2 models, users have reported that a faster card (i.e., Panasonic or Simpletech) doesbetter (especially when flushing movies to the card).

So, given your camera model, I'd probably try to find a fast card. Konica-Minolta also recommends the use of a 10mb/second card in the Z1, if you are going to be taking movies at 30 frames per second.

For just a little bit more money, you can usually find one of the faster cards if you shop around.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:53 PM   #5

Thanks for that - I was just about to go for a 256 at 2x speed!

I'll look out for a bargain...