Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 25, 2004, 1:52 PM   #1

HIGH All, I have a Vivitar vivicam 3720 and have a SD card from SanDisk.

I have no problems uploading and saving the pictures on my PC from the internal memory, I have to take out the card to do it. When I put the card back in and try to upload them I get this

"memory card file format is not recognized (it does not conform to EXif-DCF standard"

This problem is racking my brains...so any help is apprecaited. Thank you.
unoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not understanding where you are getting the error. Is your PC giving you the error, or is this an error on the camera?

If on your PC, is it as soon as you plug in the camera to the USB port?

Explain how you are trying to transfer the photos (using a software package of some kind, simply copying from your camera since it should show up as a removal drive, etc).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 3:12 PM   #3

HIGH JimC, ok I plug the usb plug into the camera..turn it on and no pictures show up on the lcd on the camera. I take out the card and the internal memory show's the pictures (internal memory pics) on the lcd.
I'm useing Ulead Photo Explorer 7.0 which came with the camera. I go to file and then click download from memory card and it says "Cannot find the memory card. Please insert a memory if you want to continue. Do you want to continue?" I click on retry and the same thing pops up.

It's my Dad's camera and he went out and bought the memory card and I don't think he formated it. Would that be the problem and if it is...would formating it loose the pics?

Hope I explained it better.

Edit: Plus the camera dosn't turn off when the memory card is in after trying to upload to the PC. I have to take the batteries out.

Old Jul 25, 2004, 3:48 PM   #4
Administrator

unoit wrote:
Quote:
HIGH JimC, ok I plug the usb plug into the camera..turn it on and no pictures show up on the lcd on the camera. I take out the card and the internal memory show's the pictures (internal memory pics) on the lcd.
I'm useing Ulead Photo Explorer 7.0 which came with the camera. I go to file and then click download from memory card and it says "Cannot find the memory card. Please insert a memory if you want to continue. Do you want to continue?" I click on retry and the same thing pops up.

It's my Dad's camera and he went out and bought the memory card and I don't think he formated it. Would that be the problem and if it is...would formating it loose the pics?

Hope I explained it better.

Edit: Plus the camera dosn't turn off when the memory card is in after trying to upload to the PC. I have to take the batteries out.

Ok, let's get a better understanding of this.

Does the camera let you take pics with the card in it (storing them on the card)?

Can you playback the pictures you took on the camera (not internal memory, ones on the card)?

As far as photos showing up on the LCD when plugging in the USB cable, I don't know how your camera would behave.

I can tell you this -- it could be dangerous to be removing or inserting the Secure Digital Card into a camera that is turned on (or on because you have the USB cable plugged in). Don't do it. You risk damaging the card and the camera.

If the answer is yes to the first two questions (the camera will let you store and playback pictures on the card), then the problem may be with Ulead Photo Explorer 7.0). Or more likely, because you're inserting the card into the camera after you have it plugged into the USB cable.The SD cardshould have already been inserted when you plug in the camera.

As far as formatting the card, I do this everytime I finish downloading images from one. I always start out with a freshly formatted card. Make SURE you are using the camera to perform this function, not your PC. There should be a menu choice for this.

If the card is corrupted, then a format may correct it. There are also image recovery tools available if the images are important.

Also, you probably don't need to use Ulead Photo Explorer. Your camera probably shows up as a removal drive. You can simply go to the drive letter, and click on it, and you should see the folder the images are stored in. When you go to that folder, you can copy the images (select all, copy), then paste them into whatever folder you want to store them in on your PC's C: drive (hard disk).

Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:57 PM   #5

HIGH JimC, no I'm not taking or putting the card in when the camera's on...it's the USB plug that plugs into the camera that I have to unplug to turn the camera off.

Yes I can see the pictures on the camera from the card...just won't let me put them on the PC.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
[b]Also, you probably don't need to use Ulead Photo Explorer.* Your camera probably shows up as a removal drive.* You can simply go to the drive letter, and click on it, and you should see the folder the images are stored in.* When you go to that folder, you can copy the images (select all, copy), then paste them into whatever folder you want to store them in on your PC's C: drive (hard disk).
Yes it does it shows Removable Disk F: and I clink on in and no folders or pictures..just empty.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out...this is one forum I'll be visiting on a daily basis...so much info here.

Old Jul 25, 2004, 5:56 PM   #6
Administrator

If you want to try to recover the photos before formatting the Secure Digital card, there is a way to do it. Go to this page. Then, scroll down to where you see the link to download the Digital Image Recovery Program (you'll see it, even though the forum is not in English).

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-foru...pic.php?t=2690

The download is compressed (.zip file), so you will need pkunzip.exe or winzip (or another utility capable of extracting the installation .exe file) to install it. You can download an eval copy of winzip here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

Once installed (by unzipping it), it will letyou select English as the language. Then, you can specify the camera's drive letter (F: you told me) as the source to look for images on, then specify a folder on your C: drive to recover them to.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:14 AM   #7

HIGH JimC, well I tried All that you mentioned and still no go...so I went to a computer store and they told me I needed a Memory card reader, so $30 later I can finaly upload the pics from the card to the PC.

Thanks for All your help JimC it was really apperciated.