Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:11 AM   #1

Hello!

I'm going to buy a 256 mb memory stick for sony P93. I will buy sandisk because it is much cheaper than sony.

My alternatives are:
> sandisk 256MBm.s. pro
> sandisk 256MB m.s. pro ultraII

The ultra II claims to be faster. Do you think i feel this difference with p93? or is this differencenoticable for more proffessional cameras?
:?

Thank you..
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:48 AM   #2
TC3

Sandisc sucks to be honest and i wouldnt touch their cards
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:04 AM   #3
Administrator

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Rather juvenile to make such a statement with no proof.

We use Sandisk cards daily and have had no problems with any of them. The new Ultra cards are very fast. As for using it in the P93, the regular Sandisk MS Pro will do you just fine. You wouldn't see muchdifference with the Ultra II except when downloading to the computer.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:26 PM   #4

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Professionals use Ultra II's for the speed benefits. The consumer Sandisk memory cards may be slow, but then again, many consumer digicams aren't up to speed anyway. I use both Sandisk and Lexar to shoot weddings, both work equally well (and fast) on DSLR's and some prosumer digicams.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 5:09 PM   #5

Never had a problem with any Sandisk Media - Compact Flash, Ultra, Ultra II or smartmedia.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:03 PM   #6

marokero wrote:
Quote:
TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Professionals use Ultra II's for the speed benefits. The consumer Sandisk memory cards may be slow, but then again, many consumer digicams aren't up to speed anyway. I use both Sandisk and Lexar to shoot weddings, both work equally well (and fast) on DSLR's and some prosumer digicams.
As I said in another thread, there are lots of horror stories about Sandisk card failures on dpreview.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:59 PM   #7

historically sandisk has had its issues. the ultra2 line carries warranty that backs the quality it represents- lifetime. i have (3) 2gb u2 cards and (2) 2gb u2 cards. used daily in a canon 1Ds. so far in the 6 months of fairly heavy use no issues. its price at the moment cannot be beat for it relative "speed". the lexar sandisk war has risen to a new high. both componies missed the projected profit targets the past to qtrs.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:48 AM   #8
TC3

I stick to what i said, it is not worth using a card that has had many reports of failure when there are many other fast cards which have not had the same issues and certainly not to that extent. It does not mean that every card will give trouble but it does nothing for my confidence in the companies cards it produces.

Most my picture taking is a once only chance so it just is not worth the risk.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:09 PM   #9

sjms wrote:
Quote:
historically sandisk has had its issues. the ultra2 line carries warranty that backs the quality it represents- lifetime. i have (3) 2gb u2 cards and (2) 2gb u2 cards. used daily in a canon 1Ds. so far in the 6 months of fairly heavy use no issues. its price at the moment cannot be beat for it relative "speed". the lexar sandisk war has risen to a new high. both componies missed the projected profit targets the past to qtrs.
The fact that you didn't have any problems is not statistically significant.

For a counter-example see here.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote