Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1

Hi. I've been looking to get the Casio QV-R40 and the memory cards it accepts, are the Secure-Digital / Multimedia cards. There's a bit in Steve's 'Flash Memory Card Primer' on memory card readers, but are they necessary? Can one still get pictures from the camera onto a computer without a reader? I don't mind if it's really slow, but I just need to know if I absolutely have to get a reader for a memory card.

Thanks!
Alec
alec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:37 AM   #2

In a word No! You can upload the images from your camera to your computer via a USB cable which is supplied with the camera.

It is purely a matter of personal preference as to whether you use the camera or a memory card reader for uploading images to your computer.

If you have more than one digital camera and use a variety of different card types then a memory card reader is very convenient and is usually faster loading images to the computer than using your camera.

Harryo
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:13 AM   #3

Thanks for clearing that up for me =D
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:26 AM   #4

I don't have a reader yet but have looked at it to allow me to upload without using camera to preserveusage of cam batteries for shooting....i'm using ni-mh's but still...having camera on for any extra time....

However,I was looking at a reader/writer to allow me to more easily purge junk pix as they may be hard to determine as such when viewing via LCD
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 8:44 AM   #5

Yeah, good points. Well, I think once I decide on, and buy my camera, I'll judge the speed and stuff, and determine whether or not the price justifies a reader.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:41 AM   #6

yeah in most cameras you can read the files directly off the camera but since I don't have a AC adapter for mine, a card reader is more convenient for me.

-Jeff

[email protected]
jhsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:11 AM   #7

Batteries is one issue, speed is another. There have been instances though where the camera has died when hooked up to USB...that's my reason why I went to a reader (especially when my warranty expired).

In any respect, you should "copy", not "move" the pictures to the computer, and then erase the pictures or format the card in the camera...you don't want the computer writing to the card as this can corrupt cards.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:28 AM   #8

Oh, thank you both Looks like a reader is a good idea.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:15 AM   #9

Speed is the main factor I use a card reader to transfer all my images to my computer. Most cameras have a slow USB 1 connection, somewhat of an after thought if you ask me, but it can be used in a pintch. I use both firewire and USB 2 readers, and I get transfers in the 9-10MB/s as opposed to 0.5-1.2MB/s from USB 1. I need to transfer wedding pictures to my computer as fast as I can, and the sooner I do that, the sooner I can get some shut eye ater a days work
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:30 AM   #10

Depending on your needs a portable storage device can also eliminate the need for any reader. The Tripper is faster than anything I've seen. It will transfer my 2 gig card in under 3 minute, same speed back to my computer,a nd with the USB 2 connection you can run it as an external hard drive. The best part is the unit can be purchased without a hard drive, and you cna choose whatever size you need & upgrade later with ease if you choose.

Get's my vote.

Dagger
MrDagger is offline   Reply With Quote