Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:13 AM   #1

I'm looking for an affordable portable HD storage device to avoid buying a ton of flash memory for upcoming vacations.

-Needs to be xD compatible (or adaptable, i.e., with a CF adapter)

-20GB should be plenty enough

-Would love a video out or a display, but not willing to pay $100's more for that

I've found several options, but its discouraging that none of them are popular, and especially, that none are that available here in the US. So far I like the Vosonic X's Drive Pro (20GB) and the MediaGear Flash-HD (20GB), both of which appear to be available for a cheap, ~$200, but neither from a major retailer.

Any advice? Experience? Especially from purchasingfrom the US...

Thanks
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:50 PM   #2
Administrator

I like the X's Drive II, find it here with 20GB for under $200, they also have xD-CF adapter too.

http://the-discount-shop.com/default.php?cPath=74_29

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:10 PM   #3

Thanks for that.

Curious why the X's Drive II instead the PRO? Isn't the PRO a newer version for roughly the same price (and no need for the adapter in my case)?

Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Administrator

Even the Pro unit requires a xD-CF adapter and I got the feeling that you were looking for the most economical unit, if not then go with the Pro model, review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...ive-vp300.html
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:02 AM   #5

okay, you're right on about that, but...

And I hate to bug you (love this site by the way), but I am reeealy curious why these devises are not at all popular or available in the US? Seems like such an obvious need, I mean why are 1+GB flash media popular for more money when it seems like a "big" electronics maker (Sony, or ANY other) could make a cheap and useful HD device widely available for cheap?

Also, I am not thrilled about shopping these devises at unknown (at least for me) sites. Seems to me that if something isn't available at a known site like amazon, it is suspect.

Again, Thanks...

Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:56 AM   #6
Administrator

Why would Sony make something that would keep you from buying more oftheir Memory Stick media? This is probably why. These kind of devices are not "mainstream" items, the average user doesn't buy them which is why a major chain doesn't carry them. Try looking here:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n.../category.3/.f
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:13 AM   #7

Ok, one more and I promise I'll stop bugging you...

I agree about Sony, they're the reason why we're all stuck with a hundred different incompatible memory card types, making any device 2x as expensive and 2x as big. I've always thought Sony was the "microsoft" of hardware (with the exception of actually making some good stuff).

So here's where I'm at... I really like the MediaGear Flash-HD to Go 20GB drive because it does everything the X's II does (for the same $), doesn't need anxD adapter,and is available through Amazon.com, however,there are almost no reviews or posts of it online. The X's drive seems popular (or at least talked about), but is only available in the US through unknown sites, and I am weary of getting a grey market model, or just getting one unsupport by a manufacture's warrantee. Lastly, I have read several contradictory reviews that the X's Drive PRO both supportsxD cards WITHOUT an adapter, WITH an adapter,and that it doesn't support it at all. Can you confirm its exact compatability with an xD card out of the box? Not having to buy an adapter matters to me because it adds $40+...

Ok, I'm done...Thanks for all your help, and again, great site, I've made the perfect digicam choice twice using your reviews.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:16 PM   #8

steve wrote:
Quote:
Even the Pro unit requires a xD-CF adapter and I got the feeling that you were looking for the most economical unit, if not then go with the Pro model, review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...ive-vp300.html
That is weird, i used an xd in my pro without an adapter. I just checked and it seems to work. Is this perhaps a difference in the firmware between then and now?
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:38 PM   #9

I've got an Archos Jukebox Multimedia which I took with me on my holiday. Took more than 1600 shots (only using a 256 MB CF card and my Archos). It has 20 GB harddisk, MP3 capabilities and even MPEG4 (DIVX).

This device has an secial CF adapter.

Works great!
raaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:06 AM   #10

I have a Super Digibin from LeadingSpect.com. You can get them from insidecomputer.com . It has a 20GB-80GB hard drive and a CF card reader. You can get a extra battery and converter for other media types. I had my unit upgraded to USB 2 from USB 1.1. I have had excellent luck with it. I brought back 2500 pictures from Italy / Sicily last year. It has been all over Carribean and US beside Italy. It is battery powered and I have the extra battery pack for extended use. It will be going back to Europe in October.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote