Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 5, 2004, 7:53 AM   #1

I took a bunch of photos and one of my Evidence Techs had begun to download the images on our PC by using the Jump Shot Lexar Media card reader. The downloading was interrupted by the PC and now we can't get the images downloaded.

The camera indicates "this card cannot be read" when the 256mb card is placed in the D100.

The card is then tried in the card reader via Nikon View and the system indicates:"There is no memory card in the connected camera or the card reader."

I tried our other D100 and a second card reader with negative results. Any ideas what I can do to recover the images on this card. I KNOW that there are images that are on the disk and they are very important one. Got any ideas!!!!!!

You can shoot me an email at [email protected]
sst149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Administrator

Suggest you try PhotoRescue, I use it all the time!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:22 AM   #3

Steve...Thanks for the info. I examined the card and have found some damage to the case. Do you know where I could get the card replaced?

Thanks...
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Administrator

I would follow Steve's recommendation and try PhotoRescue. Your card reader should show up as a removable drive letter, so recovery packages can work.

Since you mentioned using a Lexar Jumpshot Reader, I'm assuming that you also have a Lexar Card. You may want to know that Lexar has a product that was originally designed only for use with their media. They have recently upgraded it to Version 2.0, and now it is designed to work with media other than Lexar's.

However, I've read that the original 1.0 version could sometimes see a card using a Jumpshot reader, that was not visible to other card readers (because the "USB Enabled" Lexar Cards have their own device controller built in for USB support with the Jumpshot reader).

So, I suspect that this is true for the newer versions, too.

You may want to check to see if you already have this product (Image Rescue) on a CD that came with your Lexar Media and Jumpshot reader. They have been known to bundle it with certain cards with the Jumpshotreaders.

http://store.digitalfilm.com/?productid=IR-437

Edit: I was typing mypost,when you entered yours. That's too bad (case damage to the card). Personally, I wouldn't give up on it, if the images are very important. Younever know aboutthese things.Although it's a long shot, the LexarImage Rescue software, using theJumpShot reader, may be able to see the damaged card whenanother card reader can't.

As far as replacing the card, Lexar may claim abuse. However, it's worth trying to get a replacement anyway.

Their web site is at http://www.digitalfilm.com

You'll see a Support Menu choice (with live support available online, too). If I were you, I would not mention the case damage.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:09 PM   #5

I would have to say that I tried a demo of PhotoRescue when I was going to recover my images but unfortunately it did not work for me and the tech support was not available. If photorescue does not work for you give Image Recall a shot.

http://www.flashfixers.com/software/imagerecall.asp

I think they also have a recovery service that you can send the card in for recovery and repair. Good luck
Ed Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:09 AM   #6

I contacted Lexar after noting that the casing had been damaged by our people. The images are THERE. If I squeeze the casing while the card is in the reader, it begins to download four or five images and then stops. The D100 just tells me that the card cannot be read.

I'm in contact with a Rep from Lexar and hope that they will recover the data for us.