Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:42 PM   #1

I deleted some photos from my compact flash card and want to try and recover them. Has anyone here used the program from Germany called Digital image recovery from a website called Happy Foto? I think I got the link from this site but i wanted to make sure it was legit before I downloaded it. I get a little nervous downloading from sites I don't really know.

Thanks!

Pam
tolpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:38 PM   #2

keep it simple. just download photorescue try it and then buy it. it is simply the best one out there. it will be the best $30 you spent.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

i've been using it now for about 3 years.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3
Administrator

tolpuppy wrote:
Quote:
I deleted some photos from my compact flash card and want to try and recover them. Has anyone here used the program from Germany called Digital image recovery from a website called Happy Foto? I think I got the link from this site but i wanted to make sure it was legit before I downloaded it. I get a little nervous downloading from sites I don't really know.
Yes, Pam. The freeware program you're looking at is a very good one. I've recommended often to users. It's in a .zip file, so you must use pkunzip.exe, winzip, or another package capable of extracting the .exe file to install it. If you don't have one of these, you can download a fully functional trial version of winzip from here:

http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm

After you install Digital Image Recovery, you can select English as the Language when you start it. You then give it the drive letter for your media (your camera or card reader must show up as a removable drive for these types of packages to work).

You then specify a directory (folder) on your PC's hard disk that you want to recover the images to. It will scan the entire card (CompactFlash, etc.), then place any images found in the folder you specify. It will even work for a formatted card in most cases.

As long as your photos are JPEG, it will work fine. If your photos are RAW, then you'll need to go to a commercial product (Digital Image Recovery does not support any RAW formats).

If you're uncomfortable using winzip, etc., I'll be glad to e-mail you a copy of the extracted .exe file for the Digital Image Recovery program (I've got it on my PC).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:38 AM   #4

thats the good thing about photorescue it will recover all image formats and others too. its woth its weight in gold.

how much are your images worth to you?

Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:25 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the replies! I down loaded digital recovery and it got the photos I needed back. Someday I may require the extra functions that photo rescue provides but at this time the freeware worked great!

Thanks again!

pam
tolpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 4:16 PM   #6

cool

Old Aug 7, 2004, 4:26 PM   #7
Administrator

I'm glad it worked for you. Also, as long as you specify a folder on your local PC to recover the files to, it doesn't hurt to try it (since it would only be reading from, not writing to the source media). I've seen some users comment that it's never failed them yet.

For more complex problems (or if you need support for RAW files), PhotoRescue (suggested by sjms) is highly recommended by many users.

Note that the author (Alexender Grey) hasn't done anything to Digital Image Recovery since 2002 (see the date on thisdescription page):

http://www.happyfoto.de/rescue.php

Same page translated by Google:

Edit: For some reason, I can't get this link to work correctly from within this forum (it goes to the untranslated page). I even tried it with tinyurl.com with no luck. However, if you copy and paste it into your browser's addressfield,it will go to a translated page.

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...UTF-8%26sa%3DG

It looks like the source code may have been sold to another company, and updated to support RAW files in a commercial version now (so I wouldn't lose the copy of the freeware version you downloaded, in case it disappears from the Happy Foto web site). Here's the info on the commercial version:

http://63.141.194.5/dir/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:03 PM   #8

Might wanna try the free PC INSPECTORâ„¢ Smart Recovery utility from :
http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm
CyberDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:11 PM   #9

I too would like to recover some old pictures from my SD card. Here's my problem. I recieved a SD card ran scandisk from windows 98. Now I have all these files, can't remember the suffix. Ran photorescue this did not resolve my problem. If anyone has gone through this please please respond. I would like to find a solution before my mother hangs me from her kitchen window. Thanks -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:20 PM   #10

when you tried photorescue dat the end of the first pass did it offer to do an alternate method?