Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:05 PM   #1

Default can't read compact flash

I have a SanDisk 280mb card in my Nikon Coolpix 885 (which had been working fine), and out of the blue the monitor is flashing "can not read CF card".

It reads other cards fine. Does anyone know why this happened and if there is anything I can do to salvage the card? Thanks.
maryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2002, 5:32 PM   #2

try reformatting the card in the camera
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:36 AM   #3

I tried re-formatting, but the camera won't recognize the card. It was new, but worked for a couple of days, and had a few shots on it.

The reason I'm rREALLY CONCERNED is that I leave for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to China in a couple of weeks, and now I don't feel all that confident about my new digital camera.

If I at least understood why this happened- I could avoid it. Could it have something to do with the battery dying while the card is in??? Or, going through security at the airport????? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:49 AM   #4

depending on the OS on your computer you can format the cf card on the pc if you have a reader. it will not ruin the card as some people have eluded to. most people don't read. you just follow instructions and use the dropdown lists.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:57 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by maryf
I have a SanDisk 280mb card in my Nikon Coolpix 885 (which had been working fine), and out of the blue the monitor is flashing "can not read CF card".

It reads other cards fine. Does anyone know why this happened and if there is anything I can do to salvage the card? Thanks.
If you have a card reader then try the free CardWiper utility, you'll find it listed on our Utility Software page here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_utils.html

Sorry but it and all other memory card repair utilities require a card reader as they access the cards like a drive resource.

It is not uncommon to have memory cards "glitch" due to power interruptions or camera firmware burps. Or just die on their own sometimes. Let's face it, we are living in the world of throw-away electronics and no matter how much you pay for something, it comes off of an assembly line somewhere just like the ten thousand before it.

Never put all your eggs in one basket or all your pictures on one flash card. Buy two, they're relatively cheap these days...

And no, memory card are not damaged by airport X-ray machines. But they can be glitched if writing to the card when the camera battery fails.

-Steve

[Edited on 10-7-2002 by steve]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 4:05 PM   #6

Steve, does that mean that you should take the card out before you change the battery? It doesn't seem logical, but since I'm new to digital cameras.....????

I just want to know the absolute safest way to handle the card in relation to battery changing, (even if it's inconvenient), since I will be taking pictures for three solid weeks on my trip to China. I will have to change batteries several times I'm sure. Can't go back to re-shoot in this lifetime. THANKS!
Old Oct 7, 2002, 4:21 PM   #7

you don't have to take the battery out but have the camera off before removing the card.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:40 AM   #8

I followed some recent postings on this forum: 2 or more smaller cards, or one big one!

I'm glad I support the 2 x 128 rather than 1x 256 at the moment. For that, once in a lifetime trip, I'd definitely have more cards, plenty of batteries, a wide range fast mains input charger with a mains travel adaptor - and an 'Instamatic' as well!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:26 PM   #9

Just to continue the thrust of that thread, it is likely that the problem with the card was caused by taking it in-and-out of the camera. So fewer and larger cards would mean the problem would be less likely to happened.

maryf: have you looked closely at the pins on the CF card to see if any are broken or bent?

I certianly agree about back-ups. To the point of checking to see if it is possible to purchase "disposable" cameras while there.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 3:19 PM   #10

I have a backup in case, BUT that's not really the point. (Unless I plan to shoot with 2 cameras all the time)

MY BIGGEST FEAR is that I will take pictures of the terracotta warriors, or whatever-- and than LATER the card "can't be read." Pictures gone.

That 's what happened to cause me to write for advice in the first place. After I took pictures, with a new card that I didn't handle much, the card all of a sudden (later) couldn't be read.

But I'll look at the pins- what do I do if they are damaged? And, thanks for all the great input.