Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:12 PM   #1

Default ibm 1gig microdrive versus lexar pro 24x...

prefer results from raw files, needless to say the more shots i put on my micro drive (d1x) the longer the writing times (or so it seems), very annoying at times, anybody out there who switched to the new pro 24x lexar cards (512or 1gig)? is it worth it? is it a real practical improvement or isitjustmoneyoutthewindow?
mikekobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2002, 10:34 PM   #2
NHL

mikekobal

If you keep the reliability and power consumption superiority of CF flash aside, you'll be surprised at the speed of the microdive. It can actually goes head to head with the best of the x24 flashes which Lexar has OEMed from Toshiba.

In fact I have posted this before on Steve's old board, that the larger the files the faster the microdrive is over the flash, for smaller files however it's about even since the flash doesn't have to switch page boundary. All you have to do is use a laptop with a PC card (PCMCIA) adapter to copy some large files on both the Lexar and the microdrive.

The laptop implements a true ATA interface which the CF standard called for and leaves the different cameras implementations out of the picture. The microdrive's 4.2 MB/s max. sustained data rate then compared quite favorably with the Lexar's 24X(=3.6MB/s max.) transfer rate...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 8:35 PM   #3

Default microdrive speed

thanx for the tip and the linK! loov the raw files, gotta keep shooting slo o o ow then.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 8:41 PM   #4

Default dx1 powerconsumption/camera flash

with the camera purchase i also picked up two additional batteries, in the meantime i am using the quantum turbo battery with the splittercable to power camera and flash! now that is awesome and lets me get through a whole day of shooting/reviewing (about 1.5gig of pix)and bounce flashing in daylight........
Old Jun 17, 2002, 7:30 AM   #5
NHL

mikekobal

How does the microdrive feel like in your D1x?

Another remark that I've posted on Steve's old board was that the cameras (or Photosmart printer) seems to implement some kind of power saving feature of the microdrive. I've noticed that it run cool both inside the camera (or the printers during downloading); However when I run the microdrive with the laptop it's burning hot and almost impossible to touch !!!

For all it's power hog detraction, I think the microdrive lasts relatively well in term of battery consumption as well... and I've use it quite often in hot, humid and sandy beaches to built enough confidence in the device that I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one and leaving my MindStor @ home (talking about battery hog, the AAA NiMh in the MindStor doesn't last at all!)

[Edited on 6-17-2002 by NHL]
Old Jun 17, 2002, 6:08 PM   #6

Default microdrive and heat/dx1/coolpix5000

it gets quite hot, one can feel it through the camera body! but it doesnt seem to have any negative effects.....this week end i used the coolpix 5000 for some shots in central park (in the rain, no umbrella) the camera was definitely wet, no problems there either, the camera just seems VERY slow in combination with md(shooting jpg's fine..)
Old Jun 18, 2002, 7:13 AM   #7
NHL

So the heat does varies with cameras ...(hum !). Now I understand why the question was raised in steve's old board, but the IBM microdrive is designed with power saving features though, and it's up to the camera to make good use of it.

Shoting in RAW or Tiff should be slower since the camera has to save all those data. In case of RAW that's equivalent to 3 consecutive jpeg's frames (and 5 jpegs with Tiff's). Can you limit RAW to critical shots only? For example with my D7 I can get back and forth, in and out of RAW & other modes, pretty quickly by using the memory settings (ie. memory#3 is RAW, and memory#2 is jpeg) without having to go through all the camera's dials and switches.

... Unless you got to have RAW, shooting in jpegs save you a lot of memories, and you're not loosing much by converting theses 1st generation jpegs to Tiff's back in your PC and let thoses high speed Pentiums or PowerPCs do all the work. Beside the camera will run much faster as well as gaining all its features back (and saving energy @ the same time)
Old Jul 10, 2002, 7:38 AM   #8

Default 512M microdrive?

Is the 512M microdrive an older version as I've read about the 340M? I.E. not in the same performance league as 1G?
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:33 PM   #9
NHL

Cald

There's two families: the older 170/340Mb and the newer 512/1G. The 170Mb was discontinued a while ago, and the 340Mb (based on the same technology) is on clearance. There's a 2.5/5G due anytime now, but Toshiba bought the entire IBM hardisk division a few months back...
Old Jul 16, 2002, 8:20 PM   #10

Hmmm. Now I am contemplating a 1GB Micro-Drive.

Working for Big Blue would probably mean a nice discount.

Bowisc
Bowisc is offline   Reply With Quote