Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:52 AM   #1

Does anyone know the approximate life of a SmartMedia card if they're kept in a cool dry place away from dirt? They seem a bit flimsy, but I've got a bunch of them and just got a D-40Z and a 4040Z (brand new condition). I love both cameras but find holding the D-40Z still enough for razor sharp photos to be difficult. Anyway, pushing the cards in and pulling them out should take a toll eventually.

Thanks!

Confed
Confed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:57 PM   #2

I have 3 OLYs that use SM, one the C2500L also uses CF. I lost count of the total shots, I am retired, do nothing much but take pictures. So far no problems, just keep them clean. I have one I had to reinforce with plastic welder. All the works are under the contact strip, the tail is just plastic. I don't like being limited to 128mb, but I seem to love cameras that use it.. I shoot tif, only, a lot of ins and outs on those cards!

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:13 PM   #3

Haven't had a problem yet, but I treat my cards well and format them (inside the camera) once in a while. Here's a page which shows what they're made of:

http://www.camerahacker.com/Digital/...a_Dissect.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:29 PM   #4

I can switch cards between the C4000Z and the C720UZ with no problem, just format in the camera I put them in. If I am going to be using the C2500L a lot, and want backup memory, I have to format in My Kodak reader, then format in the C2500L. No trouble there, but I must have at least one image on the card when I put it in the reader.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:21 PM   #5
lg

I've personally had excellent wear and tear on my SM cards, but one of the trained guerillas at work managed to fracture off about 3/16" from one of the cards, rendering it all but useless. If I can get it formatted, I'll try adding a piece of tape so that the card will stay in the springloaded card slot.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote