Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:14 AM   #1

Hello,

I have been told by someone that it is better to use the camera to PC USB interface rather than a USB card reader. The following reasons were cited :

1. Taking the card in and out of the camera involves a risk of accidentally damaging the pins on the camera and the Card.

2. There is higher chance of camera getting damaged by taking the card in and out.

3.Digital camerasare very sensitive instruments and should be handled very cautiously.

Any advice ? What is the impact on camera longevity by taking the card in and out.From other posts it sounds that the transfer rate with a reader is 5-10 times faster vs the direct interface.

I am buying a NIKON Coolpix 8700 and a Sandisk CF ultra II 512 MB. The reader I have in mind is SAKAR 9 in 1 (CR-70).

Thanks in advance,
svdurgaprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:46 PM   #2

There is more chance of something happening to the camera software if a power surge happens when you are downloading directly to the computer. You are also draining the battery.
A card reader will transfer the information faster USB 2. and with no loss in quality. The information is stored on the card not in the camera.
I also use Lexar cards with Image Rescue which allows me to Format/Check for problems/Recover data/ etc. all on my Mac.

smartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:07 PM   #3

I agree with the forum member who responded.

Get a card reader.

You have one layer of separation between PC and your cam that way.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 2:37 PM   #4

I also agree with the advice you have been given, and to elaborate further on your point no.3............You risk damaging the camera whenever you take it out of the case ! So don't worry about pins/connections or crossing the road. Just take care, and you will find a card reader beneficial.

I don't know the SAKAR 9 in 1, buttry to get one that is USB 2 compliant for much faster transfer.(Presuming you have USB2 on your computer)

Stevekin.

Edit:

Just looked, and as i'm sure you are aware, the SAKAR is USB2 :-)
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:50 PM   #5

All of the points that your were told are valid, and it is safer to use the direct USB connection. Browse through the posts here and other forums and you will very often find memory problem reports that contain a phrase like, "After I took the card out of the camera, ...". The less the memory is handled, the less chance there is for damage.

Since those reports also often contain clues that it was a klutzy twit who had the problem, you shouldn't be afraid of using a card reader. If you are carefull and think about what you are doing, you should have no problems whichever way you do it. If you are careless enough (or have bad enough luck) to damage your memory by handling, you are also likely to drop your camera lens first on a concrete floor.

Since I have an AC power adapter, a microdrive, and a fair amount of patience, I use the camera's USB connection. There isn't a right or wrong way - do whichever you feel the most comforatble with.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:26 PM   #6

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Since those reports also often contain clues that it was a klutzy twit who had the problem, you shouldn't be afraid of using a card reader. If you are carefull and think about what you are doing, you should have no problems whichever way you do it. If you are careless enough (or have bad enough luck) to damage your memory by handling, you are also likely to drop your camera lens first on a concrete floor.

Since I have an AC power adapter, a microdrive, and a fair amount of patience, I use the camera's USB connection. There isn't a right or wrong way - do whichever you feel the most comforatble with.
I am lacking a few of those things - the AC adapter, I have a busted microdrive, and I don't have a lot of patience. (for example I would like to be able to get a microdrive completely copied in under 3 to 5 minutes of possible)

So I've had two of the maladies you mention happen to me. I guess I need to find a good solid-state memory solution... What would you suggest that's fast enough to record full res 30fps movies on my Canon S1 IS, has enough room to record up to 8 minutes or more of video at the highest quality without emptying the card, and also I'd need to throw in a portable storage device big enough (preferably at minimum 10 or 20GB) to store several hours of video or several thousand highest quality pictures, whichever is more, for less than what I paid (approx $250) for the microdrive?
Should I wait till November or December 2004 and get a 16GB 160x CF card for $200?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote