Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:02 PM   #1

My 4gb microdrive hasn't been working for almost a month now, so I was about ready to give it up as dead until I came across a couple things....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9821433

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=005Rnw

I wonder if giving it some treatment like what's described on there might possibly resurrect it? I don't care about whatever data is on it now - I just want it to be working.

They mention a mechanical noise, so I put it up to my ear and could hear something, and I recorded a short 12-second 71kb clip of it. What could that sound probably mean?

If the microdrive is NOT recoverable (btw when I put it in the computer it doesn't see it, and when I put it in the camera (Canon S1 IS) it says memory card error then when I go to the menu to format it, where the card would normally be it's dashes instead and greyed out), what would be a better alternative for a comparable or lesser price, with a comparable or better price per gigabyte? I need something that's durable - the MD apparently isn't durable enough for the way I use it. I haven't had any problems with durability on my 1GB Sandisk CF, but it's an older one that's not fast enough to record movies in 30fps 640x480 fine mode.
If I can't restore the MD to life, should I get a good 1GB CF plus a storage device (which would also need to be able to take at least as substantial of a shock as my Sony CD player which has been dropped countless times from chest height onto a hard surface and still works perfectly and shows no signs of dying anytime soon) or are there any good 4GB or larger capacity microdrives that can take a shock like that and still work fine? What about the upcoming 5GB Seagate? Should that be more durable than the Hitachi MD? I'd be willing to wait a few months to get it.
If I go the CF + PSD route, what would be one that would have good fast transfers? I would start recording videos probably within a minute or 30 seconds or so of ending the previous one, and I can't find any good camcorders in my price range that don't use a tape media.
While I would like the PSD to be able to also play mp3s and record mp3s, and have a color screen, I don't know of any under $500 that do that, and I don't want to pay more than $200 to $250 for the CF AND the PSD, including tax and shipping.

Any suggestions? try to restore the MD, or sit on a street corner with a cup and a sign that says "homeless - need money for food"?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:36 PM   #2

another question...

If I'm copying CF cards from my card reader to my computer, it will often tell me it's done long before it really is done. For example, I was trying to delete a bunch of files from the card (after copying it - the copy I think was fairly accurate on reporting its progress), and the dialog went "blip" and went away quickly, so I removed the card from the reader.

"Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save all the data for...."

Somewhere I heard that could be because write caching is enabled. Is that a possibility? If so, how do I disable it? I don't want the copy/move/delete/whatever dialog to disappear until it is TRULY done with its task.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:04 AM   #3

Hello,

I may be able to help with both questions.

The discussions in the links are talking about an older issue seen with the earlier 1GB, 512MB and 340MB drives. Squeezing the drive would press the head into the platter. The head stuck and the platter could not spin. This caused the whining sound. A tap on the edge of the card would free the head and resolve the issue.

Hitachi resolved this issue in the 2GB and 4GB models by rotating the head assembly to the connector side of the drive away from where you would handle the drive. Being that you are using a 4GB drive it is unlikely that you have this issue.

Being without your drive for a month now, I would suggest that you check your warranty status and return the drive to Hitachi for replacement. You could also try using a PCMCIA adapter and a laptop with Windows 2000 or Windows XP to see if the drive is accessible. Using the Disk Managment tool youmay be able to see theparition and reformat the disk.

With regards to your other issue, it sounds like you are a victim of Windows Write Back Caching. You will encounter this issue with Windows 2000 and Windows XP depending on how the storage device is configured. If you use Device Manager (Right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", "Hardware" and then click the "Device Manager" button) you can reconfigure how Windows handles the disk. Once in "Device Manager", locate the disk under "Disk Drives". Highlight the disk and right-click. Now, click the "Policies" tab. This is where you can choose how caching will be handled. Choose the "Optimize for quick removal" radio button and that should resolve your difficulties. You may notice a little performance degradation, but the progress indicator will be more accurate and caching is no longer used.

Hope this helps!
Shane Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:22 AM   #4

Hello Again,

Here is a screen shot!
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on the write caching disabling.

Is there a place I can go on Hitachi's website (like I did with my Western Digital HD that died a couple months ago and I had replaced) to input my drive's serial # and find out if it's under warranty?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:32 PM   #6

Use the link below. Input your serial number (just below the barcode) and click "Check".

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...a0466460e4f0a0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. Must be either because I used hitachi.com instead of hitachigst.com, or didn't know where to look or something.... I had no trouble finding it at WD...

Now, for my results....

I see the expiration is in the future (btw the reason for the other incarnations of a serial were in case I didn't know how to properly input the serial #) but what does the "AP" mean under "Sold to GEO"?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:26 PM   #8

When I plug in my 2GB serial, the geo says NA. I interpreted this as North America with geo being geographic. In your case, one would think AP would be Asian Pacific. My 2GB is an off-the-shelf,is yours an off-the-shelf, or did you muscle a Muvo for its drive?