Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1

Just about to buy a Rebel - first dslr.

I have read most of the posts I could find re CF versus MD and have decided to opt for the MD (yeah I know, I know - but I'll put the savings to good use!)

My question is - anyone got a definitive view on which is the best microdrive for this camera?

TIA

Richard
jjoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:04 PM   #2

Currently, you can purchase Sandisk Ultra II 512mb Compact Flash online for about $75. No, I cannot tell you where. Just browse major vendors and you will find some deals.

I would recommendUltra IIover MicroDrive any day.

This is why:

1. Microdrives contain moving parts and thus, are, inherently, more susceptible to failure.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 2:26 PM   #3
NHL

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
1. Microdrives contain moving parts and thus, are, inherently, more susceptible to failure.
We all know this thank you, I'm up to my 6 microdrives and have yet to see one fails. Would you rather use smaller flash cards and dump into a portable HD and see it fails instead? :lol:

I love my 4G Hitachi microdrives... never have to worry about running out of film in the RAW mode again (or lug a laptop)!

But if you need cheap flash: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=448447
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:08 PM   #4

NHL...Beauty is in the media in the hand of the photog, eh?
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 5:18 AM   #5

Oh dear - I thought this brush fire was out for the moment but I seem to have re-ignited it!!

As a matter or interest, are microdrives less reliable than computer drives? I have been using computers for over 20 years and have never had a drive fail on me. I am up to computer six or seven. One of the drives is now 15 years old - I use it as a second back up because I am paranoid about drive failures!!

I have decided to go with a microdrive (':P') but just wanted to know which might be one of the best. The Hitachi has had a good press in this forum. Any advances on that as a choice?

Richard
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:19 AM   #6
NHL

I'm impartial: I used both flashes and microdrives interchangeably...

The Hitachi are the most popular, and have been around the longest since they acquired IBM. Iomega also relabeled theses Hitachi/IBM drive.
I also happened to own an older 2.2G MagicStor (still work just fine BTW) which is now redesigned and much improved "plus" line. Several vendors now OEM theses drives and they are the lowest cost at this time... I just don't use it that much since I have several 1G flash and two 4G drives to fill first :-)

In term of reliability, they all have to do with mass: the computer HD reading arms for example have much more inertia in them when knocked than a feather weight microdrive mechanism. Theses devices are designed to be dropped and subjected to shocks if you look at the spec's: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/suppor...o/micro3k4.htm

While running (ie when you drop the camera while it's writing):
Shock (half sine wave) 200 G/2ms
Random Vibration (RMS) 0.67 G (5 - 500Hz) <- taking pictures while riding a roller coaster
Vibration (swept sine) 1.0 G 0 - Peak

Outside the camera:
Shock (half sine wave) 2000 G/1ms
Random Vibration (RMS) 3.01 G (5 - 500Hz)
Vibration (swept sine) 5.0 G 0-Peak
Heck... even bonding wires on flash will give if shocked to 2000 G's
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:42 AM   #7

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I'll go with one of the two the microdrives - just a matter of hunting around for prices (I live in Spain but want the stuff delivered in the UK).

Anyway I have just seen the specs for the Canon d20 and that has given me food for thought. I was about to buy a Rebel because of the price difference with the D10 but now my lips are smacking again! I may wait a while to gather the strength to spend more and get the d20!! We'll see - no hurry. For that sort of money i want to make the right choice.

RJ
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:09 AM   #8
NHL

jjoss wrote:
Quote:
Anyway I have just seen the specs for the Canon d20 and that has given me food for thought. I was about to buy a Rebel because of the price difference with the D10 but now my lips are smacking again! I may wait a while to gather the strength to spend more and get the d20!! We'll see - no hurry. For that sort of money i want to make the right choice.
This does not make a 10D any worst... In fact you might want to profit from the clearance price on the 10D. Several of my friends still shoot with their D60 and they are not complaining!
Old Aug 21, 2004, 2:05 PM   #9

Yeah - very good point. I don't have a dslr yet and still shoot with my EOS 100. That has always done me proud - it's just when you read the specs for something new it fires you up, no?

I must say I am lookig forward to being able to just shoot dozens of shots without having to worry about processing and printing costs. I am sure it will improve my work as I should be able to be much more adventurous and try out loads of settings etc.

My first step will actually be a Sony Cybershot W1 (for the wife of course - but I might just shoot a few!). I should have that in a couple of weeks and am very excited.

Good hunting

Richard
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:11 PM   #10

I have a 4gb hitachi microdrive in my s1, the only thing that is of concern to me is that it gets hot under continuous shooting, movie mode & transfering files to the computer, basically any time it is reading or writing alot. One occasion when I was shooting alot I had the camera actually overheat & shutdown, I believe because of the heat generated by the microdrive, it would probably be worse using alot outside in the summer.

Is it normal for the microdrive to get warm?
kenyoncad is offline   Reply With Quote