Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:46 PM   #1

Both my laptop and desktop computers will not read the 512 MB Compact Flash Memory (Kingston 512 Type I) card that I have using the Memory Card Reader I use (no name on the reader thus I dont know the maker or model of the unit).

I can get the 512 MB card to read from the Canon EOS Rebel camera via USB but it wont read from the Reader.

I can get the reader to work with the Kingston 256 MB card that I have.

Is there a difference between the Kingston 256 MB and 512 MB cards?

Do some readers only read up to a certain limit?
wmp3662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:19 PM   #2

If you can, test your kingston 512 mb card with another reader...

like the Sandisk 8-in-1 for instance.

If it reads on the new reader, you know it is your reader.

If it does not, it is the card and a reformat of the card may help.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:07 AM   #3

I've got the same problem with a sandisk reader (SDDR-91). The 256mb card works fine (i've got 2) but the 512 doesn't work. I'm using under OS X 10.3.6 with either Image Capture, iPhoto, or trying to copy from the desktop. All 3 methods work with 256mb card. None with the 512.
The only way to get photos off the 512 is directly to the camera (Digital Rebel) via USB.

Ideas anyone???

Thanks,

Gewan
gewanbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:55 PM   #4

Update thedrivers for your Mac?
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5

I'm having a similar problem with a SimpleTech 512Mb SD card. It works in my KM Z2 camera and in my PNY Tech USB SD card reader as well as a USB Kodak multiple format reader, but not in the built-in SD card reader in my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop, or in any of the Wal-Mart or Walgreens photo kiosks that I've tried. I don't get any errors, it just acts like the card is not there.

I tried reformatting the card in both FAT32 and FAT16 formats and there was no change (other than the camera not liking FAT32). This seems like a problem with the SD card to me. The 16Mb Panasonic SD card that came with the camera works eveywhere I've tried it.

I emailed SimpleTech, but they have not yet provided a solution.

Anyone recognized the problem?
codesuidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:57 AM   #6
Administrator

codesuidae wrote:
Quote:
I'm having a similar problem with a SimpleTech 512Mb SD card. It works in my KM Z2 camera and in my PNY Tech USB SD card reader as well as a USB Kodak multiple format reader, but not in the built-in SD card reader in my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop, or in any of the Wal-Mart or Walgreens photo kiosks that I've tried. I don't get any errors, it just acts like the card is not there.

I tried reformatting the card in both FAT32 and FAT16 formats and there was no change (other than the camera not liking FAT32). This seems like a problem with the SD card to me. The 16Mb Panasonic SD card that came with the camera works eveywhere I've tried it.

I emailed SimpleTech, but they have not yet provided a solution.

Anyone recognized the problem?
Try formatting it using the Panasonic SD Formatter utility and see if that helps.

http://panasonic.jp/support/audio/sd...rmatter_e.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:14 PM   #7

No difference. I'd be surprised if there was a difference in the laptop, even without a filesystem or an unrecognized filesystem I'd see the device in the 'Computer Managment' control panel applet (and be able to format it to something windows recognizes). This is something lower level, as if the reader itself is not recognizing the card.

Thanks for the suggestion. SimpleTech says I need to call their tech support line. I'll give that a try after the holidays.
codesuidae is offline   Reply With Quote