Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:31 PM   #21

katpat,
Searching for " multiplying files destop" in yahoo, look what I found:
http://forums.techguy.org/printthrea...hreadid=185437

It sounds quite like your situation, make sure you have updated your virus definition files

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:40 PM   #22

Hello! I also have spy-bot and ad-aware......... I updated Norton and ran it earlier. Nothing found. I have the Windows newest security pak (2 I think?) I just downloaded it last week. Will check on status of multiplying pictures. Thanks for your help!
katpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:42 AM   #23
Administrator

Chances are, you don't have a virus (especially since you've already scanned with up to date virus definitions).

The more likely cause is that the files got copied to your desktop at some point (could this have been where the destination path was set to?)

Since you can only see so many at a time on your desktop, when you delete them, the rest are still there (just not visible).

Then, when Windows does an "auto arrange" of the desktop again, you're seeing the files that were not visible after you finished the last deletes.

Double Click on "My Computer", then select your desktop as the folder you want to view. It's usually the first in the list if you use the address bar. Change your view to details so that you can get to them easier by scrolling up and down.

Then delete all of the .jpg files you don't want on your desktop.

If you want to do it a faster way, assuming you don't have any other image files on your desktop, open a cmd prompt (DOS Prompt). Then type the following to get rid of any files that were recovered by Digital Image Recovery (that should all start with image and end with .jpg if you used the defaults) ---- pressing the Enter Key after each line:

cd \windows\desktop

del image*.jpg

exit

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:55 AM   #24

Finally! It is done..........I think what you said happened..................somehow they also got copied to desktop...........I deleted all of them.............and shut down the computer last night. This morning nothing was there when I signed on. I really want those 20 pictures I didn't get.........am seriously thinking about downloading the digital recovery.......but am a little scared! I might try it this afternoon. All the .jpgs are gone........none of the pictures are there anymore, and they are on CDs. Thanks for all your help!!!
katpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:25 AM   #25
Administrator

No problem. All you need to do is make sure that you select a valid existing folder on your PC for the images before you press the start button (making sure it's not a folder like your desktop, or a program folder, etc.). I'd create a brand new folder for the images ahead of time, if you don't have a place you normally store them.

Then, write down the folder you select with Digital Image Recovery (using the button to the right of the "destination path"), before you press the start button (so you know where the photos will be located).

It's really a very simple program to use... Only 3 steps: 1. Select the drive letter for the camera, 2. Select the folder on your PC you want the recovered photos to be copied to, 3. Press the Start Button

See the screen shots and instructions in my previous post if you are not sure how to do this, and just ask questions if you run into problems.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote