Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 4, 2004, 7:16 PM   #1

Help! My daughter accidently erased 170 pictures from a family reunion!!! The card was not formatted.............the pictures are gone, tho! There has to be some computer expert that knows how to get them back.........they must still be on the card someplace.....Please help!!!:sad:
katpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:33 AM   #2

Since it's Olympus C-740 specific, the following C-7xx group should be able to help you out, they have a image recovery program in their files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/

Whatever you do:
DON'T ERASE ANYTHING
DON'T FORMAT THE CARD
DON'T TAKE ANOTHER PICTURE WITH THAT CARD!!!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3
Administrator

If you can't find one that works on the forum Mikefellh sent you to, you can download a free program designed to recover deleted files called "Digital Image Recovery".

I've even seen it work on formatted media before (although follow Mikefellh's advise about not taking photos,or formatting the card, etc.). You don't want to do anything that might jeopardize the files!

You'll see the dowload link in the first message in this German Forum:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-foru...pic.php?t=2690

It's a .zip file, so you'll need Winzip to extract the installation file. If you don't have it already, you can download a working eval version of Winzip from here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

The program will let you select English as a language. As long as your camera appears as a removal drive; simply select the drive letter for your camera as the source drive, then select a folder on your PC as the destination (you'll see a browse button to select a folder).

Leave all other settings as default and click the Start Button. It will then search the memory card and save all of the recovered files to the folder you selected on your PC's hard drive.

It won't hurt anything as long as your destination folder is on your PC, since it's only reading from the card (not writing to it)

If Digital Image Recovery can't find 'em (and I think it will), then try this one. Isaw someone a while back that tried 5 different image recovery programs that couldn't find a thing on a bad Sony Memory Stick. Then, he tried this one and it found the images:

http://www.flashfixers.com/software/imagerecall.asp

Here is a shot from the help screen of the free software from the German Site (Digital Image Recovery). Note that there are only 3 steps (it's quite simple):
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for all your help..........I am working on it now. I will let you all know what happens...........I just wasn't sure if I should go to a camera shop and have them do it................we shall see. Thanks again!!!
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5

"Digital Image Recovery" is very good. Once, I used it to recover pics on a hardisk
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 4:52 PM   #6

I downloaded digital image recovery, unzipped it, and followed the instructions. It found all my pictures, but now I cannot find the pictures! The program files I download them to doesn't show up, even after searching! I tried it 2x! Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:38 PM   #7
Administrator

By "program files" you downloaded them to, I assume you mean the folder you downloaded them to.

They will be in whatever directory you specified when you pressed the start button originally.

If you did not change the default settings, then each image file will start with "image" and end with .jpg

I've been having a very hard time getting to this site this afternoon (probably because some of the network infrastructure is down due to the hurricane in florida).

I'll send you a PM with my phone number and talk you through finding them.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:44 AM   #8
Administrator

I am able to get to this site without problems this morning (it was taking my screen minutes to load each time, trying yesterday).

Are you sure that it found the files? It will have a "Images Found" counter clicking off the number of files recovered when it finds them.

They will be in the folder you specified when starting the program.

They will have different names than your original images. The default prefix will be image (unless you change it). So, youwill have filenames like image1.jpg, image2.jpg, image3.jpg, etc. in the folder you specified originally.

Here is a screenfrom it (I just started it on my PC to show you what it will look like). I selected F: as the source drive (because that's the letter my camera shows up as on my PC).

To see what drive letter your camera shows up as, click on "My Computer" and make note of the drive letter your camera shows up under. This will be the Drive Letter you will need to specify to Digital Image Recovery, so it knows where to find the images.

Note that I selected a folder called c:\photos\test as the destination path. This is where the photos will show up on my PC.

You must select a valid folder on your PC as your destination path. The button to the right of the destination path will let you browse for a valid folder. This will be where recovered photos are placed.

Don't change the other values from the defaults (sectors, etc.). It will optimize these values automatically, based on the size of the card. I am testing with a small card to show you how it works.

Here it is running on my PC. Note that the Images Found on the screen is incrementing. It will save files as it's recovering them to the destination path you specify. If you don't know where you told it to put the files, and can't find them, simply run it again (making sure you make note of the folder you specify as the destination path). Again, you will find the files in the destination folder named image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc.

Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:41 AM   #9

Dam it jimc!!!

This program (Digital Recovery) really rocks! I've tooked pictures on my Canon S1 Is then I formatted it then used this Digital Recovery, and it really recovers them all!

TNX a lot for sharing this program!!!
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:43 AM   #10

katpat wrote:
Quote:
It found all my pictures, but now I cannot find the pictures!

You can also try the Windows search feature (Start ... Search...) to search files with jpg extention , within the shooting date to present, to find all jpg in that time window.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote