Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:56 PM   #1

Default fastest memory cards

I'm told that SD is the fastest card. Please compare SD with a high speed (24X) CF card. How about the Sony memory stick? Which is the fastest card anyway?
pglevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2002, 3:04 PM   #2

where did you get your info about sd cards from?
in just the last 15 min of reading i have seen claimed rates from 2-10 MB. now is that burst or sustained? thats quite different now. burst is initial rate which is very misleading. it is the sustained rate that is important and of course that is substantially slower.

memory sticks have improved but not that much.

[Edited on 10-5-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 9:29 AM   #3
NHL

Default CF+ cards are the fastest...

In theory CF cards should be the fastest since they could have both H/W controllers in the card to make them act like hardisks and in the camera to read the same.

All other cards rely on the camera internal firmware to emulate this atapi function. With the exception of SM, all the multimedia cards (SD, XD, MemoryStick) are even slower in the read function because if implemented properly they also have the extra burden of the serialized copyright management!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 10:16 AM   #4

isn't the speed of the card irrelevant if you have a slow point and shoot camera?...fast memory cards take advantages in pro camera only?...what do people think?....but my camera i use is a cheap 128mb sandisk and seems to work as fast as my 512 sandisk ultra too....so not sure if speed really matters but maybe only processing speed of the camra itself?....thoughts?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 11:34 AM   #5
NHL

Default It only matter when you fill up the internal buffer!

If you never use raw format then you'll never fill up the camera buffer, and that's why you never saw the speed differences... (ie in jpeg the cameras accumulate the images in its buffer and write out to the flash @ a slower speed)

BTW cameras are slower than the true potential (even the current fastest dSLR) of the CF+ standard. One only sees the real speed difference when the CF cards are mated to a PC adapter (PCMCIA) in a laptop... This is when the true sustained write speed of the microdrive really shines over flashes!

... Checkout the write speed of the DCS 14n (12Mb/s that twice the speed of current crop of CF or microdrive...)

[Edited on 10-8-2002 by NHL]

... and here's another bright idea on copy protection:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...2665%2C00.html

[Edited on 10-8-2002 by NHL]
Old Oct 9, 2002, 3:40 AM   #6

NHL is correct. Normally, speed will be determined by the cam writing to its buffer.

Card speed becomes an issue when the buffer is to small and can't write to the card fast enough. Things can go wrong when the next shot is taken and the cam buffer is full.

This is when you might be aware of the card not filling faster than the buffer:
Movie Mode, TIFF or Multiple shooting modes with large file sizes - cam takes longer to release.

I gather the card suppliers mainly re-brand from a limited pool of chip manufacturers. But who knows what specs they buy in at.

It would be useful to know the size and speed of each cams internal buffer memory. Since a large fast internal buffer will make card speed less important - unless you turn the cam off during save!

Personally, I'd rather see any buffer size/speed/processing limitation improved in the cam, since media specs will always vary.

I've not tried it, but I'd expect a disc speed utility test on different cards in a reader to give consistent results, no faster than the USB transfer rate.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 9:52 AM   #7
NHL

Default Why is Flash slower ?

FYI for anyone:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1178