Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 17, 2002, 1:22 AM   #1

Default Lost Data Need Help

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover data from a Compaq Flash card that seems to have lost its FAT Table? When I try to view the data from my computer it reports that the card is not formatted. The camera will just reports a CF error. Some of the pictures on the card are of a rare bird for the area, so I would really like to recover them. If anyone has had any success with this process I would really appreciate your advice.
Jeffdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:41 PM   #2

I have the same problem - my shots were a live concert by a performance artist for whom I am building a web site... Just what I needed was to get that "disk is not formatted" message. Hope someone has a solution for us.

Thanks,
Greg
gbdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 3:45 AM   #3

If the card can be seen in Windows as a removeable disk, most any recovery software should work, since the card is no different than a hard disk as far as Windows is concerned. You may need a card reader to plug the card into if the camera itself doesn't support this. Here is a link to some software (which I have NOT tested) which claims to be able to recover digital images.

http://home.arcor.de/christian_grau/dir/index.html
Let us know if you have any luck.
webghandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 1:55 PM   #4

Hello,
I ran that drive recovery software and it claims to have restored the 100 files. however, when I save these files to disk, and attempt to open them, I get an "invalid file marker" error. Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg
gbdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 5:56 PM   #5

Greg, last week I tried one of the freeware programs that Steve recommended on has Software page of this Website and received about the same results that you did. Today I'm trying a new software called PhotoRescue that cost $29. It found all the files that I needed, but reported that most of them are Crippled. I did manage to fully recover 5 of them completely. You should start with this link below, I think it will help in your situation. Good Luck!!!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/diginews..._recovery.html
Jeffdh is offline   Reply With Quote