Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:35 PM   #1

A company in Taiwan is manufacturing an SD type card that is capable of holding up to 2 TB of data. It will also have transfer speeds of up to 120mb per second, it will be on display at a technology show in Taipei in October this year. Now by my calculations, using say the EOS 10D which has raw files of around 6MB, you will be able to shoot over 300,000 pics before running out of space....the shutter will give out first!! I know sensors are getting bigger, but where will this all end? Do we really need all this card space? Would like to hear peoples views....

Needless to say, I am a techno freak, and find all this fascinating. If someone had told me, back in 1980 (Using an old Chinon CM-4s) that in 25 years time, I could hold half a million photos on a bit of plastic the size of a peppermint, I would have thought they were mad!!!

:?:shock::whack:
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2

Freefly wrote:
Quote:
I know sensors are getting bigger, but where will this all end? Do we really need all this card space? Would like to hear peoples views....
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
-Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-Popular Mechanics' scientific forecasts in 1949

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder
of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"640Kb ought to be enough for anybody."
-Bill Gates, 1981

The above quotes (especially that last one since it deals with memory) are what several "experts" said in their time of computing history. No one can predict what computers (and technology) will be in the future. Also, you may be only looking at your view of the world and you can't see the rest of the trees in the forrest.

Most consumers are only familiar with 35mm films, but there are commonly used film formats that are larger than 35mm, called medium format and large format. Medium format is 3-4x larger film surface when compared to 35mm, and large format is even more. With most consumer (and prosumer) cameras we're talking from 3 to 5 to 8mp...with medium format digitals it's more common to talk about 11, 16, and 22mp...the 22mb camera making a 121mb file.

There's a whole other issue of video capture on a memory card...due to the amount of info in video today's card capacities just can't compete with video tape...just one more reason why larger capacity cards are needed.

No one can say what the future will bring.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:43 PM   #3

holy cow....

i'm still at a 128!!

lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:35 PM   #4

It'sSaturday nightso ... Ugh it is actually Sunday morning I guess ... so only 1 more bottle of wine ... and a bit of fun ...

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
-Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
Quote:
--- He was right maybe 5 computers today are actually doing real work, the rest are Being used to surf for those unspeakable sites. :blah:
Quote:
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-Popular Mechanics' scientific forecasts in 1949
Quote:
--- You haven't tried carrying my laptop case
Quote:
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder
of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Quote:
--- Absolutely right, I am down to 5 desktop & server machines and would be happy ifI could get rid of all of them.
Quote:
"640Kb ought to be enough for anybody."
-Bill Gates, 1981
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA, that one is a killer :lol:, Now new machines start at a gig and go up from there.

On a more serious note, can you imagine having a 2tb card go bad on you? Or trying to back it up in the field.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:05 AM   #5
Administrator

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
On a more serious note, can you imagine having a 2tb card go bad on you? Or trying to back it up in the field.

Or having to run a thorough ScanDisk operation on it
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:07 AM   #6

hmmm..... its not so much the 2tb sd card that scares me.....or the nice 120mb/sec transfer rates.... its the fact that although I just recently upgraded alot of my main computer I still only have just over 1/2 tb of hdd storage with the newest hdd's being able to handle about a 50mb/s write speed. Guess I would have to sort through my memory card and erase 75% of the shots before saving the keepers if I filled it up.:?

But then again chances are by the time that a 2tb memory card hits the market we will be into 20-40tb hdd's at least.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:13 AM   #7

Or more likely hits the market at a price mere mortals can afford 1 or 2 of them. Ah man all this is too much for an old guy that started with punch cards and paper tape.

tkmckay wrote:
Quote:
But then again chances are by the time that a 2tb memory card hits the market we will be into 20-40tb hdd's at least.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Also, you may be only looking at your view of the world and you can't see the rest of the trees in the forrest.
Not at all, I always look ahead and think about ways to improve/speedup/make easier/save time etc. etc. As I said, I love technology and am always reading up on it.

Quote:
There's a whole other issue of video capture on a memory card...
You would hope that they improve the compression abilities so that we DONT have the hassle of administrating that amount of space in a card. I imagine that fairly soon, for professionals and serious amateurs, WI-FI/Bluetooth etcwill become the norm. The transmitters will become so small they will be fitted IN the camera, and a 2/4/6 TB HDD will be small enough to keep in your pocket, let alone 200 feet away. Therefore, pictures taken will automatically store on the HDD, and the same with video. Hopefully, the HDD will come with a preview screen and similar functions to that of a high end DSLR.

My main point on space on a card was aimed at photography. I read somewhere that a pixel on a sensor can only get so small, and that for most pros a (Say) 20MP camera (SLR or Medium format) will produce high enough quality prints at decent sizes. And before you quote more ... errm Quotes, with film, Medium/largeformat was the high end for donkeys years, without massive improvement. BUT Plate negative cameras produced the most AMAZING prints that could be blown up to the size of a house, but never hit the mainstream market. So my point is, we can keep making bigger/smaller more sensitive sensors, but there will come a point when a certain quality is enough for most of us. It will then stay that way until a whole new format is invented and sensors themselves become obsolete. I would think by that time, we will be well into the realms of holograms and realtime 3d........
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:10 AM   #9
Administrator

Yes..... I remember seeingsome articles about it. It's not SD (Secure Digital). SD has a spec that limits it to a maximum capacity of 4GB.

The new cards are about the same size as SD, but are different. They will be called the ╬╝card.

They will have a maximum capacity of 2 Terabytes (not terabits, since there are 8 bits in a byte). But, I doubtwe'll see capacities that large anytime in the near future. Sony's Memory Stick Pro and Memory Stick Duo media also havea spec for capacities up to 2TB (but, you don't see any 2TB cards).

Here is an article about the new ╬╝card:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20040805A4013.html

I can almost see thefuture compatibility charts from camera manufacturers now:

" For2MP Video at 60 frames per second, we recommend using a high speed (120mb/second) card to prevent a reduction in recording times":-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:21 PM   #10

Sorry, I gotta call bull on this one. There is no way they could get that kind of data density out of a memory card. This is equivalent to 1,000 of the microdrive I just bought on Friday. Perhaps what they mean is that the interface is capable of addressing up to 2 terabytes. If that's not the case, then 120 megabytes per second of sustained transfer and two TB of storage qualify this as an enterprise server solution.

I think once this starts hitting the market you'll be seeing more sane numbers like 2-4 gigabytes.
Kynetx is offline   Reply With Quote