Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1

Hiya, I have a 256mb olympus xd card, and when i try and use to it in the camera, I get format card on the camera screen, I try and format it then get card error and it is unable to finish the process.

I cannot get any menu back up to exit the card set up menu (olympus 750uz camera)

I cannot tranfers any pictures, just get camera not ready.

all my allother cardswork fine, so the problem is definatly with the 256 xd card,

any idea what i can do

thanks
strandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:53 PM   #2
Administrator

Well.... You may want to try formatting it with a different camera. If you are near a store that has demo models, bring the card and see if they'll let you try it in some other Olympus or Fuji models that use Xd PictureCards. If that doesn't work, you could always try using a card reader and formatting it from your PC.

But,make sure to use FAT (which is really FAT16) when you try to format it. Otherwise, it will not be compatible with your camera.

Chances are, you need to send it back for a replacement if it's still under warranty.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply

I tried using the card in a reader on another pc, but nothing worked.

How do you format with the card reader througha pc?

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:40 PM   #4
Administrator

You should have a drive letter assigned to the reader when you double click on "My Computer". If the PC recognizes the card, you should be able to right click on the drive letter, and select format.

Then, do a full format (make sure the Quick Format box is not checked if running Windows XP, or select Full Format if running earlier Windows versions), making darn sure to select FAT as the file system type if you're running newer versions of Windows.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:32 PM   #5

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try on another pc as I seem to have the driver missing for my reader.

don't supose you have any idea why my reader won't work?

i had to do a full destructive restore of my pc a few weeks back, and ever since my reader won't work, which it did previously,(usb plug and play)I tired to install the driver from the disc and according to the pc the installation was complete.

It used to open with the picture view/ fax and i could just transfer to file all my pictures, i now have to do this via the camera.

I'm running xp

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:56 PM   #6
Administrator

Well... Chances are that the driver you loaded was not XP specific. If it was "plug and play" compatible with XP to begin with, thenrunning Setup for XP would probably be an easier solution than trying to track down the drivers running, deleting them, re-installing them, etc.

Although, do this at your own risk.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:35 PM   #7

Thanks for all your help

Can you do a xp set up without losing any ofmyfiles etc?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:16 PM   #8
Administrator

You may screw up all kinds of stuff...

I've spent days trying to get everything working after running setup again on a PC. That's why I said to do it at your own risk. I've also had virtually no problems running setup on a PC.

There's no guarantee that it will help anything either. You may still may need to try and track down the device drivers that are not working right (and since you installed drivers from CD for it, it may be trying to load Win '98 drivers that won't work right under XP).

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;Product=winxp

Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:31 PM   #9

Thanks again

I've tried some of the suggestions on the link that you gave me, and after going into device manager, and checking all the USB controllers, The mass storage device(card reader) The device status says that the item is working properly.

So I seem to have a problem with the picture viewer not opening up when I plug in the card reader.

Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:49 PM   #10
Administrator

strandhill wrote:
Quote:
I've tried some of the suggestions on the link that you gave me, and after going into device manager, and checking all the USB controllers, The mass storage device(card reader) The device status says that the item is working properly.

So I seem to have a problem with the picture viewer not opening up when I plug in the card reader.

That's a totally different problem than the PC not recognizing the reader. Does it show up as a removal drive under "My Computer"? If so, then you can try formatting the card that's giving you a problem (making sure to select FAT as the file system type, as I described above).

Let's take one problem at a time.... Does the card reader show up as a removable drive? Can you format the defective card?