Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:17 PM   #1

Have a floppy drive in your computer and actually still use it. Well this product may be of interest to you. It is a cardreader/floppy drive in one, it takes up only a floppy drive bay. it is USB2 speed card reader and a regular floppy. look here..

http://www.mitsumi.com/products/fa402amain.html
drz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:24 PM   #2

I can't imagine that there would be much demand for it when the choice is to open up the computer and swap out drives or simply plug a card reader into a USB port. Am I missing something?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:54 AM   #3

Someone with very little desk space.

I think of all the stuff I've added over the years, CDRW, DVD, hard drive, cd storage (for accessing most used CDs), etc...all those things are available as extra devices; if I had all those on my desk I'd have less room than I have now.

I do have an external reader and it's a bit of a bother having to deal with the thing on the desktop and it's taking up space.

I've been thinking about having an internal reader...I'd have to remove one of my devices as I have every bay full...with removing my current floppy drive I could pop in this device and still have a floppy drive.

The only problem is this device doesn't support xD, which is something I might need in the future.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:21 PM   #4

drz01 wrote:
Quote:
[...] It is a cardreader/floppy drive in one, it takes up only a floppy drive bay. it is USB2 speed card reader and a regular floppy. look here...
Can a regular floppy drive bay have the same speed as an USB 2.0 port? I don't know exactly their speeds, but one being much newer than the other, I was curious about it.

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:29 AM   #5

...Anyone?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:07 PM   #6

José A. wrote:
Quote:
Can a regular floppy drive bay have the same speed as an USB 2.0 port? I don't know exactly their speeds, but one being much newer than the other, I was curious about it.
Don't know if I would use the term "speed" when it comes to floppies...maybe lack of speed? ;-)

Anyway, with this device the USB is only for the card reader section, the floppy drive section connects with a standard 34 pin FDD cable so the speed of the drive is exactly the same...this also gives you the option to boot from floppy, something you couldn't do via USB as the computer has no drivers installed at power up. The speed of the floppy is 500Kb/s, no where near the speed of USB.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote