Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:12 PM   #1

Hi,

Just got back from holiday, during which my 256mb SD card seemed to become unformatted, with loads of pictures on! I have recovered the images with Happy Foto's digital image recovery using the link from a previous thread in this forum, and am mostly extremely happy with the results...

however, there are a few photos which seem to be corrupted, and will only display a certain section of the photo. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Or am I expecting too much from freeware? :lol:

Would more advanced software help ? Also I see Fuji offer a service in UK for £40 to restore photos, would that have same results ? (40 quid seems steep tbh, but if it gets the extra photos back i'd be willing to pay it)

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

cheers. Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:30 PM   #2

generally if you are able to recover good images and others come up currupted they are pretty much dead.some can, to a certain extent, be rebuilt but it can be somewhat time consuming and does require a monitary investment. the software is mostly used by forensic recovery.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:44 PM   #3
Administrator

Jim:

Was the card written to in any way after the problem started (deletes, more photos taken, etc.)?

If so, then some portions of the space occupied by the images may have been overwritten (making full recovery impossible).

Even if the problem occured before you noticed it, the space occupied by some images on the card may have been overwritten (because of a corrupted FAT).

There are numerous image recovery programs available now. So, you could always try some of those. Here is one:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:02 PM   #4
Administrator

Jim:

A suggestion... This won't help anything if the space was overwritten. However, Digital Image Recovery is relatively old. I couldn't help but notice that it's designed to read a limited number of sectors into memory at a given pass (with the default values changing, based on the size of the media).

So, just in case the program is trying to reconstruct the files based only on what is being read into memory during one pass, try increasing the default value for "sectors to read at once"

If I'm right with my theory of how it works (and the sectors were not overwritten by other images), it may increase your chance of recovering the other photos).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:41 PM   #5

thanks for the replies...

JimC : The card wasnt knowingly written to/formatted after first sign of error, though like you said I guess the card could have been faulty before it became apparent.

I'm off to try your pass theory now :-)

thanks again folks.
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote