Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:25 PM   #11

I see the J&R deal, and it looks pretty good. Aside from the possible out of stock issue, here are my arguments for picking up the Rio Carbon:

1) You can buy it for $240 from ritzcamera.com (no tax, no shipping charges) versus $220 for the smallerJ&R microdrive (plus a few bucks in shipping with J&R). Now, I know there is also a $50 rebate for the J&R purchased microdrive, so each of you has to weigh waiting 6-8 weeks to maybe get back the 50. If you are like me, you'd probably forget to send in the rebate anyway.

2) The obvious: You get an additional 1 Gig. memory with the Seagate/Rio Carbon drive

3) Seagate has built in special systems to reduce shock-related issues ("Run On" technology they call it)- both buffering for writing and protection for when the drive is not in use. I am not sure the microdrive from Hitachi has similar technology. They certainly don't advertise it. I do note that the Seagate drive has a 2MB cache buffer while the Hitachi advertises only a 128KB buffer.

That said, I could see going either way. I picked up the Rio about a week ago and ripped it open. There was no problem extracting the drive and I formatted it in fat32 for use in a digital rebel (note the Hitachi factory default is Fat16).It works wonderfully with the Rebel and with thenew Canon 20D.

I plan to pick up another 1-5Gig. card sometime in thefuture just to have aspare. Iam most concerned thatone day I will be on vacation and lose half the pictures due to a drive problem. That is the problem with such large drives. I'd like to find an easyway to dump the photos from time to time to avoid the problem.Treking around with a laptopjust to do picture dumps is not my idea of fun. Perhaps theupcoming 60Gig.iPod will be the answer ifit cancan be used todump pictures out of the card (or via the camera) without an additional computerinterface. Let us hope they have thought oftheissue.

Anyone else know of a good way to dumppictures on the road? Something small? Somethingrelatively inexpensive (few hundred bucks)?

Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:16 PM   #12
Administrator

We recently reviewed the 20GB Photobank from Transcend, it's small:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...photobank.html

And even more recently we reviewed the new 20GB Transcend Digital Album

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:35 AM   #13

Help please i bought the Rio Carbon and took the drive out but i keep getting the card error even though i formatt the drive. i tried formatting it in the camera in the computer and it wont initialize. My camera is the fuji finpix s602zoom and it is on the list of acceptable cameras for the 5 gig drive. Does the camera accept drives that large? should i partition the drive to a 4 gig drive? I am really lost i thought you just pop it in and formatt it and you are good but its not so easy for me.

If anyone can help that has done it with a finpix 602zoom or just know whats going on please help:?
Papi Chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:51 PM   #14
NHL

The Fuji S-602 is an older camera accepting only FAT-16, it may be compatible with the microdrives but 2G is its max!

-> you may try to use a PC to format the drive to FAT-16 first, but the default FAT-32 from the Rio will definitely not work on the S-602 zoom
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 9:20 AM   #15

Thanks for the help even though it was bad news Thanks allot for your help and knowledge
Papi Chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 4:49 PM   #16

Please help!!! more information about seagate micro drive.....

i got rio carbon mp3 player which is really cool, thanks. i wanna buy another seagate st1 5gb drive. i saw you mentioned about pocket hard drive, but i wonder i can extract drive and use for mydigital camera as well. once i bought muvo2 mp3 player but that hitachi micro drivewas not working, so i wanna get positive answer first. onemore thing, nowadays hitachi microdrive came out retail package with $50 rebate, but i don't know it works for digital camera.

binnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:56 AM   #17

I just bought a 5GB Seagate that seems to have stopped working. It's from a Rio Carbon, but after a quick format (a standard format doesn't complete), I'm not able to write files to it from my PC to test it. What's the deal? Also, FAT32 compatible cameras such as the Coolpix 8700 and 8800 refuse to read it, saying something like "Cannot read card".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
mikeclemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:17 AM   #18
NHL

binnorm wrote:
Quote:

i got rio carbon mp3 player which is really cool, thanks. i wanna buy another seagate st1 5gb drive. i saw you mentioned about pocket hard drive, but i wonder i can extract drive and use for my digital camera as well. once i bought muvo2 mp3 player but that hitachi micro drive was not working, so i wanna get positive answer first. onemore thing, nowadays hitachi microdrive came out retail package with $50 rebate, but i don't know it works for digital camera.
The pocket hardrive uses a laptop (2.5") drive which is not the same size as the microdrive + plus their connector is slighly larger.

You can still use the extracted Rio microdrive in your camera and download the picture from this microdrive afterward to the pocket hardrive, augmenting your storage capacity...
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:21 AM   #19
NHL

mikeclemson wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a 5GB Seagate that seems to have stopped working. It's from a Rio Carbon, but after a quick format (a standard format doesn't complete), I'm not able to write files to it from my PC to test it. What's the deal? Also, FAT32 compatible cameras such as the Coolpix 8700 and 8800 refuse to read it, saying something like "Cannot read card".

Any ideas?
Do you have access to a laptop?

The PC-card(PCMCIA) slot is the closest to an ATAPI IDE connector. I would try to format the microdrive this way and not go through a USB card reader which really have to go through several software layers.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:05 AM   #20
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
binnorm wrote:
Quote:

i got rio carbon mp3 player which is really cool, thanks. i wanna buy another seagate st1 5gb drive. i saw you mentioned about pocket hard drive, but i wonder i can extract drive and use for my digital camera as well. once i bought muvo2 mp3 player but that hitachi micro drive was not working, so i wanna get positive answer first. onemore thing, nowadays hitachi microdrive came out retail package with $50 rebate, but i don't know it works for digital camera.
The pocket hardrive uses a laptop (2.5") drive which is not the same size as the microdrive + plus their connector is slighly larger.

You can still use the extracted Rio microdrive in your camera and download the picture from this microdrive afterward to the pocket hardrive, augmenting your storage capacity...
Quote:
Are you sure about this NHL? The Seagate USB 2.0 Pocket Hard Drive is supposed to contain the ST-1 drive according to my information ??
Quote:
Also guys - be sure to re-read my original message at the top of this thread as I have added a cautionary note from Seagate about the use of these ST-1 drives in any device other than what it originally came in.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote