Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:42 PM   #31

hi guys.
Thank you for the very useful thread.
I've undertood a bit more now, but my trouble remains.
I've buyed a microdrive st1 5gb and i've tryed to put it into either my ipaq as my canon 300d. Nothing, the flash card seems inexistent. I have put it in the my pcmcia adpter of my laptop and in a first time it seems to accept the card (found new hardware seagate st1) but after an error it disappear.
I have buyed it on ebay and i don't know how to solve the trouble. For my informations i should format it in FC mode but i don't know how to make it.:?:
Achab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:06 PM   #32

I'm having the same problem with my Digital Rebel. My girlfriend bought me the Seagate drive for Christmas off of eBay, and I've tried just about everything. I've tried both types of formatting, and also tried it in my girlfriends Canon s45 which is also supposed to accept microdrives. Not sure what else to do, and any help would be apreciated!
dspanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:23 PM   #33

I obtained the Seagate ST1 OEM version(from what I was told). It works fine in the Sony CyberShot F828 Camera without any problem. I was told that it worked in the Nikon D70 camera. I have the latest firmware, but it does not appear to acknowledge the Drive. They claim that this version of the firmware will support a drive to 8Gb on the camera in Fat32 format. Did anyone have to do anything special to get this drive to work in the D70. I remember reading a review that someone had it working in a Nikon D70, and the person that sent it claims it worked in their D70. Or do I have a bum D70.

maiermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:14 PM   #34
Administrator

Just put the ST1 in my D70. It shows it can take1.4K Fine JPEG or 431 NEF raw. This D70 has latest firmware and the ST1 drive came out of the Rio Carbon player. I did not format the drive, it came out of operating MP3 player.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:56 AM   #35

I believe I have figured out the issue, but would like conformation. The drives that appear to work properly are drives that do not have any information regarding the firmware that they have loaded. Firmware information can be found on the back of the card towards the bottom. It will list FW: 3.04 (example). If your card is missing this, then there is a good chance it will work as a Type II compact flash card should. If it does have the newer firmware, it is incompatable with Compact Flash IO, and can't be used in most digial cameras.

This theory comes from the 4 ST1's that I have had access to, and some further research in forums regarding the the ST1's reliablility and usablility as a CF/II. Once retail 1" drives are available it may be possible to get the firmware to load on these drives and use them once again as a Compact Flash Card, but as of right now I don't see any way to retrieve the firmware off of the drives that have the older firmware loaded, and get it to load on the new drive. Seagate's technical data gives no indication on how firmware can be verified, or flashed.

If people would please postif'A' theywere sucessful in using the card in the camera, and 'B' ifthe firmware waslisted, and which revision it is. I'llkeep my eye open for any new flashing utilities released by Seagate in the next couple of months.

--JJamesB
jjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:48 PM   #36

A Rio Carbon drive with no listed firmware info works just fine in my D70. Here's the information printed on the drive:

SN: 3ME08RT9
P/N: 9AF212-001
Model: ST650211CF
Date: 05091
Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:36 PM   #37
Administrator

FYI - the ST1 drive that I have does NOT have any firmware info on the back label.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:47 AM   #38

My Seagate ST1 has "FW: 3.04" and does NOT work.

OSX is able to identify it as a 4.7 GB drive, but can't format it: fails with an Input/Output error. Windows fails with an IOCTL error (both from the command line; GUI simply freezes).

I hope I can do something with this disk now. The Rio died when I was trying to put it back together. It refused to power on and kept getting hotter and hotter, until I cut the battery wires.
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:23 AM   #39

Chris Combs wrote:
Quote:
sjms wrote:
Quote:
before running out and destroying a RIO try this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...MP=OTC-17exta6

all it is is a 5gb ST1 in a ATA/USB2 housing. a little cheaper to rip apart i think.
Haha, knock yourself out, champ.
gee if i only read what was just above dumb dumb dumb. i will now join the dunce corner.:?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:30 AM   #40
Administrator

Sorry -- that is the Seagate Pocket Drive and it does not have the ST1 with the CF interface, it has a flexible cable interface. Maybe YOU should have read farther up the thread :blah: