Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:24 PM   #61

bwiese...

Wat I mean by updating the camera`s firmware is for the Retail microdrive to be able to be use in some of the cameras like Nikon 8400, 8800 or D2H.

It is true that the OEM drive is not able to be use in the camera as the code in the OEM microdrive is not CF enabled thus it only runs in True IDE. If U want ur OEM drive to be able to use as a Retail drive. U got to reflash the Retail code into it.
ahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:48 AM   #62

Ahdi...

The OEM vs retail microdrives could differ in hardware as well as firmware. This may vary by mfgr and model (i.e., Seagate vs Hitachi vs orig IBM...)

CF cards need nearly 50 pins' worth of signals to be fully CF compliant, while TrueIDE needs less than 40 (not counting power & ground). A simpler interface could thus be used - meaning not all pins would be brought out to the CF connector and many CF pins would be 'dead'. So even if new firmware were burned in, this might prevent CF functionality from being active.

And no attribute memory is required for IDE mode. Simpler and more compact firmware would result from no support of CF mode, significantly saving ROM space and chip I/O features - reducing chip area.

Many drives use mask ROM to store their firmware, mask ROM is not updateable w/o replacing the chip that contains it.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA
bwiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:11 PM   #63

I purchased a Seagate Micro Drive on Ebay. It worked perfectly in my Canon Rebel XT for 3 months and than failed when it was put into my SanDisk Card Reader. Prior to that time it worked with the SanDisk for the entire three months. It has never worked again. Unable to format, read, etc.

BEWARE, Seagate will not provide warranty service on these drives, which have been removed from MP3 players.

Does anyone know if these drives can be repaired?
mspivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:54 AM   #64

HI,

I just boughtthe Seagate 5GB ST1 drive for my HP ipaq 2415 PDA. The PDA does not recognize this so called Type II CF card. Can any one please tell/help me how to make the ST1 drive work on my PDA? I am planning to use this drive only for my pda and nothing else. If anyone knows the steps/procedures involed in making this work, you can either reply to this thread or email me at [email protected]. I would greatly appreciate your help.
vaaliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:09 PM   #65

Vaaliben...

Sorry, but there's probably nothing you can do. If you look in previous posts in this thread and a few others here, this likely is just a smalldrive in a CF Type II casing, but is not a Type II-electrical spec CF card.

The card you have likely only runs in "TrueIDE"/"TrueATA" mode ONLY,while your pocket computer does not want to use this mode - it wants to communicate with CF card in either a memory-mapped or I/O-mapped mode, along with special attribute memory telling the host device what its capabilities & features are.

Many drives like these were removed from consumer devices; they were not designed to work as CF cards. I doubt you'll see any "CF" logo on this drive, either.

There are many of these drives being sold on EBay, etc. incorrectly being called CF drives. These drives have been scrapped from Rio Carbons - and similarly-crippled Hitachi drives from Apple iPOD Minis have the same issues.

These drives had features removed to drive costs down for large OEM customers making consumer electronics devices that don't need a removable drive.

You didn't buy this actual drive in a factory package, did you? What did the packaging say?

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:16 PM   #66

No, it did not say CF any where on the card. It only said 5GB ST1 and had a FW: 3.08 on the back of the card. But, the online retailerI bought it from said that it is a CF type II card and would work with my PDA. Hell no! So I returned the item for a full refund.

Thanks.
vaaliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:35 PM   #67

vaaliben wrote:
Quote:
No, it did not say CF any where on the card. It only said 5GB ST1 and had a FW: 3.08 on the back of the card. But, the online retailerI bought it from said that it is a CF type II card and would work with my PDA. Hell no! So I returned the item for a full refund.

Thanks.
Your salesman/retailer just doesn't know what's what. Just because it looks like a CF card doesn't mean it is one It is just CF Type II form-factor, that's all.

There are prob lots of these drives coming on the market as manufacturer overrruns, surplus (or even out-of-spec rejects). Your retailer was probably a victim of this too.

Your drive is essentiallyan IDE drive in a small package without CF electronics.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA USA
Old Dec 25, 2005, 6:02 PM   #68

I bought a Seagate 5gb St1 drive and it says firmware 3.04.

I read through all these replies but unlike people trying to get them to work as CF cards in digital cameras or PDAs, I'm just trying to use mine in a computer.

I plugged mine into a PCMCIA adapter and into the slot (just like you use other microdrives) and it says "Seagate ST1 recognized" then "ATA/IDE Controller installing hardware" then "your hardware has been properly installed and is ready for use"

However, then there is no drive listed in my computer, under disk management or if i select defrag disks.

Is my Seagate drive dead (can't tell if it's even spinning but wouldn't it have never been recognized in the first place if it was dead?) OR does it just need formatted/installed (which I don't know how to do) OR does a PCMCIA adapter slot mean it is trying to read it as a CF card? It really should work shouldn't it? I understand if it didn't work in a certain camera or as a CF drive but I am just plugging it into a compatible computer's PCMCIA drive.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
5.9LITRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:35 PM   #69

5.9 - whats the "date code" on the back?
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:32 PM   #70

i don't have the drive on me right now so i can't check. it is 3.04 firmware release and date code was like 052805 or something like that I don't remember.

Anyway, I figured maybe the PCMCIA adapter wasn't giving it enough power so I bought a USB compact flash reader and that works. Which kinda sucks but it will do I guess.
5.9LITRE is offline   Reply With Quote