Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:29 PM   #1

I recently have seen some compact flash "speed" rated. It claims it is 80x, not sure exactly waht that means, but supposedly writes image to flash memory faster.

I have a Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom camera and my one complaint with it is that sometimes by the time the photo records the person has moved and there head is down or turned but when I push the button they are definately looking at the camera. WIll this speed rated compact flash actually help capture the photos quicker?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4042912

Thanks
rbarr110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:16 PM   #2
Administrator

rbarr110 wrote:
Quote:
I recently have seen some compact flash "speed" rated. It claims it is 80x, not sure exactly waht that means, but supposedly writes image to flash memory faster.
Each 1x is 150kb/second.So, 80 x 150kb/second = 12,000 kb/second = 12mb/second. But, this does not mean that your camera can take advantage of this much speed. In fact, most of the time the numbers are based on read speed versus write speed (even though writes are much faster, too). But, it's very rare that you'd see a device that could actually meet the maximum rated speed of the cards. These ratings are in optimum conditions, using optimum transfer sizes to the cards, etc.

Most devices don't have interfaces this fast to the memory cards.

Now, the card you are looking at is very fast, and is from a reputable manufacturer.

Even if your camera could not take advantage of this speed, if you use a fast USB 2.0 Card Reader, you'd get faster transfer times to your computer.

Quote:
I have a Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom camera and my one complaint with it is that sometimes by the time the photo records the person has moved and there head is down or turned but when I push the button they are definately looking at the camera. WIll this speed rated compact flash actually help capture the photos quicker?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4042912
A fastercard will only help speed things up after the photo is taken. So, you can take more photos sooner if you have a faster card (but only if your camera can take advantage of it's speed). Chances are, your Fuji probably can't. But, it still may be faster than the card you are using (depending on it's speed) in your model.

If your problem is autofocus lag (the time it takes between when you press the shutter button, and when the photo is taken), this has nothing to do with the speed of the card. This is only how long the camera is taking to focus and make exposure settings before taking the photo.

One way to speed things up with a camera is to use a "half press" of the shutter button first. When it has finished focusing, most models will let you know with a steady green light. Then, at just the right moment (when you get the framing or expressions you want), press the shutter button the rest of the way down. Using a half press first to lock focus in is the longest part. After focus is locked, pressing the shutter button down the rest of the way is usually very fast.

This is the way I usually use my cameras (film or digital) -- half press of shutter button to lock focus first -- wait for the right moment -- press it the rest of the way down.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote