Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 7, 2004, 5:18 AM   #1

Despite error 12, i have decided to get a canon ixus 40 (sd300),

Im getting a 1gbsd card with it, standard i would be getting a card from Pixmania (i think its just a label thevendor puts on em... pixmania is a normal online shop)

but this card issnt rated at 40x, 66x or whatever..

they do have a 66x sd fast card, but will i only feel the difference when shooting small video clips?? as i read on some small reviews on the camera, i canonly record videos if i get the fast card, but is this the only place ill notice the difference?? what about shooting normal pictures?

thanx

/kim
tagden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Administrator

If the camera's interface to the memory card is fast enough to see the difference when shooting video for the manufacturer to recommend a fast card for this purpose, then it's probably fast enough to see the difference for saving still pictures to the card, too.

So, a faster card may improve your cycle times (time between photos before you can take another one) -- especially in burst (continuous) mode.

You would also be likely to getfaster transfer times to your computer (especially if you are using a USB 2.0 card reader).

In 1GB size, I'd be inclined to go with a Panasonic Card (their standard cards are very fast in larger sizes), or perhaps a Sandisk Ultra II Card (also very fast in larger sizes). My preference would be the Panasonic (as their Secure Digital Cards have a very good reputation for reliability and compatibility).

Some of the "standard speed" cards from other other manufacturers tend to have a higher reported problem rate in some devices, based on user posts you see in forums. Most of these are using the same components as the Sandisk Standard Speed Secure Digital cards (but the newer cards seem to be much more reliable and compatible than they used to be -- based on reports I've seen). Some devices are much more "finnicky" than others on the type of memory that works well in them, too.

These two cards (Panasonic or Sandisk Ultra II) are likely to be 3 to 4 times as fast as the "Standard Speed" cards you'll find when testing in USB 2.0 card readers. As far as the difference in speed in your camera, that would depend on the speed of the interface to the cards. Unless someone tested it, it's difficult to say how much of a performance gain you'd see.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3

hmm, im gonna hurry and pick up a sandisk ultra II then, cause panasonics are way to pricey.. and then just send the standard card back to get credited..

Thanx
Old Oct 9, 2004, 2:27 PM   #4

I got a 1GB Kingmax Sd for my Sd300, very happy with it, no performance differance compared to my 512 Sandisk Ultra card,but much cheaper. (I couldn't find a 1 Gb SandiskUltra card anywhere).
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 2:54 PM   #5

well i dont think theres anyone in Denmark that sells kingmax, but like you say i dont think theres a 1 gb ultra II card.. so i went ahead and got a 512mb only... which is probably gonna be more than enough for me..

btw Typhoon how do you like the sd300 camera sofar???

/Kim
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:06 PM   #6

tagden wrote:
Quote:
well i dont think theres anyone in Denmark that sells kingmax, but like you say i dont think theres a 1 gb ultra II card.. so i went ahead and got a 512mb only... which is probably gonna be more than enough for me..

btw Typhoon how do you like the sd300 camera sofar???

/Kim
I am still learning but initial impression is very positive. I got the 1Gb Kingmax from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...45138&rd=1. Much cheaper than what Ultra II sells in the UK.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:33 PM   #7

Hey. I have a SD300 and Kingmax Platinum 1g sd. I love the kingmax platinum although I have only had it for 1 day so far. It is thinner than standard so it originally didnt appear to fit in the sd slot. Once I tried again, it went in perfectly.

Speaking about the performance, so far I shot about a 30 sec clip of vid at 640*480 with no probs. Also, I have been testing the continunous shot feature. It is utterly amazing how quick this camera goes. In Indoor mode, with flash off, this thing went really really quick. Then, I couldnt reproduce the same quickness in manual mode. It kept saying busy for a really short time after taking one shot. That really bothered me, and I wasnt sure I was encountering this problem. I kept trying to fix it but nothing worked. Finally I just turned my camera off, then when i turned it back on I tried again, and in manual mode it worked as quick in indoor mode.

I was reading the user man. and it said something on the terms that if the amount of the cameras interal free memory decreases, performance may decrease. As of now, that is the only thing I can think about. I dont really understand how the internal memory would be used in the process, but whatever.

Kingmax, so far, is cheap and good.
akxs is offline   Reply With Quote